Would you transport livebaits?

markward

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of interest after reading all of the posts on this thread and the presentation of many facts, have any of the anti livebait transporters changed their initial views? Or just as releavantly any of the pro live transporters decided that all may not be ok?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

This self same discussion has been going on elsewhere, such as on the PredatorFishing site.

There is a defient few who claim that they will carry on regardless. Ummmm, that won't help 'anglings' cause one iota.

The calls to ban live-baiting are largely coming from within angling. I have to say that I think, rightly or wrongly, that the rule bending that goes on will not help the case of the pro live-bait lobby if push comes to shove.

I can see the 'transport lives at any cost, tanks in the garage' factor of our sport alienating pikers from mainstream angling.

This cavalier attitude to the rules is understandable, but it's not what you'd expect from an endangered species, namely responsible livebaiters.

It's good that this discussion has come out in the open, but I think it might have gone the wrong way.

We can justify livebaiting, I think. But can we justify breaking the rules? I think not.

[ 23. November 2003, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

That is the one thing that bothers me about the whole issue Pete.Wether the rules are well founded or as I and others believe not,I am still seen as a law breaker.This I can not deny.A lot of people will automaticly think that because I break this rule then I fish without licences,use as many rods as I want,cheat etc etc(I am obviously refering to all live bait transporters and not just my self)This does give us(all pikers) a bad reputation as stroke pullers etc.I dont like the way it sets angler against angler either.But where do we draw the line? I see many anglers smoking joints on the bank,does this give us all a bad reputation?should I report them to the police because I happen not to agree with it? I could list a lot of rules and laws (both angling and not)that people break then have the neck to look down their noses at others.It is (is it?)wrong to be selective in what rules/laws we choose to obey.I am certainly guilty of this.But so to are many if not most others.Instead of breaking a law/rule we disagree with we should try to get it changed.I cant disagree with that.BUT as I have said before the can of worms (no pun intended!)any campaigning on this issue would open would be far more detremental to angling in general to justify it.So as I keep saying the only way ahead is to be discreet and sensible.

Some people will say that I am doing neither by discussing this on an open forum.It is a risk I feel that I must take to try and present the true facts to other anglers.I wouldnt expect the "dont do it because its cruel" etc type of angler to change their mind as there are no facts I can put forward that will change some ones opinion on this but It would be nice if the "I dont do it because of the terrible threat of disease"etc angler can at least be privvy to the correct facts.

A large part of the problem could be from those who can't be bothered to catch their own livebait. When they see those who are livebaiting catching more they will complain, rather than going out and doing the same.

Whether a more liberel set of byelaws is the answer or not is immaterial. I think, Budgie, your comments on that matter are spot on.

The die was cast over Windermere. There are unaccountable and dangerous organisations out there with long term policies that don't include relaxing any fisheries byelaws.

Budgie it is always nice to have the facts presented but they are only as good as the day they are published. Things change, modern techniques are constantly evolving and what was yesterdays fact can be todays fiction.

Why run the risk? Why put a part of our sport under question for your own selfish desires? Why ruin my choice to partake through lazyness and potential inability to winkle out a roach or two when the going gets tough? They are the reasons l started this thread.

Thankfully l don't live in Cumbria where l would have had this option already removed. But maybe you will achieve this for me?

The fact is that the illegal transportation of fish is punishable with a fine upto £2500 therefore it is deemed by powers greater than you or l that it should not take place.

Just remember it wasn't too long ago sailors wouldn't sail to the horizon - it took one person to prove them wrong!!

Even after 4 pages of debate l stand firm in the view that l would never support anyone indulging in this act and if they do l hope they feel the full force of the potential fine and my anger if their actions were to prevent me from livebaiting in future.

Rowlocks, as hunters we should make the rules that concern OUR sport, not those who don't take part. Live baiting is a legal and great method of catching fish. The only argument is the potential spread of disease by translocation. But with the exception of carp, there is no evidence that this is even a possibility, let alone a fact. Come on guys if you can't stick a hook in a fish, regardless of its location, then stop fishing.

Alan.

Mark you still seem to be riding me rather than debating the question.I say this as there have been some far more extreme views to the subject than mine!

No it wouldnt be fair if I was to lose any thing for another angler wether it was my own preference or not.I think we are agreed on that.However you seem quite prepared for myself and others to be refused the right to be able to practice live baiting in the way we feel is ok.Do you acept that even though the law says it is illegal (no one here has ever disputed that)that the logic behind it is flawed?Have you acsess to new information that proves what I and others are saying about disease and translocation of species is wrong?I fail to see what the relevance of my ability to "winkle" out a few roach or not has to do with it.Out of interest I wonder what the roach angler sat between you and me would prefer,me dipping into my bucket and pulling out a trout for bait or you swinging in a roach you have just caught for bait?

Do you have another agenda (If so I must admit to not seeing it)OR is it simpley you object to the breaking of the law? I am still at a loss after all this time as to what your issue is.I am not being anti Mark Ward or even funny because you disagree with my views,just being truthfull and trying to uderstand the other persons point of view.

Out of interest Mark if they (or sadly as Pete says when) ban live baiting full stop will you carry on doing it but on the sly or will you accept it and just use deads and lures?

In fact lets go the full hog are you going to just play Fish Sim when they eventually ban Anglin.A bit extreme and dramatic maybe,or is it........