17.5lb severn Zander killed for the table

Tony 1

quote:

Perhaps we should be asking why the A/T would publish such a picture in the first place.

Why should they not?

Regards Tony.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was it not the kids dad that killed the fish. If so its his dad that needs educating, after all how many (decent) children would argue a fact with a father figure. Not me at that age thats for sure.

Lets just hope that some good can come of this irrelevant of the species. after all Asians are not native to this country. (can of worms at the ready).

Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail

Why do people keep going on about educating them? What are you going to educate them in? They appear to have done nothing wrong hence you cannot 'teach' them anything. You and I might not choose to kill and eat such a fish but they might, and can. It's their choice and preaching to them like some sort of Victorian moral crusader is bordering on arrogance.

Paul

fair enough. although isnt the point of a forum that people can air their own personal views?

Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail

I think it was in AT to make ppl aware of the fact that local bylaws say it's illegal to return Zander to the River Seven, and to try and get this changed. The lad and his father did everything by the book, but by using the example of a 17.5lb fish, it gets ppl talking about it, like here. How many of us would bother discussing the issue if it was a few 2-3lb Zander removed from the river? I doubt it would hold enough punch for AT or any of the publications to bother with it, hence nothing changes.

quote:

Originally posted by Paul_D: Why do people keep going on about educating them? What are you going to educate them in? They appear to have done nothing wrong hence you cannot 'teach' them anything.

Exactly... :o ...Yawn

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

hello all I thought i'd stick my twopenneth in.

I remember when I first started fishing at about fourteen and like andy I am self taught with no-one to guide me and spent most saturday afternoons sitting by some water catching the odd roach, small perch and occasional gudgeon.

I had some really old kit in my box that had been handed down from my late great grandmother including amongst other stuff that never got used ( because i didn't know what to do with most of it) a set of rusty trebles connected with wire for live/deadbaiting.

One day by the river catching the usual small stuff I spotted a pike sitting in my swim(first time ever). And got very excited so a drew out one of those 6ft bendy as anything spinning rod and a old reel stuck the trebles on a bashed a roach over the head and stuck it on.

I had to drift it right under its nose for it to ever take a sniff (probably poor presentation) but it did in the end nonchelantly take it in its mouth,I struck and actually landed it in my 20"diameter landing net. It was probably only about five pounds , but to me it was an absolute triumph. once landed i didnt know what the hell I was going to do with it , I was scared as hell of putting my fingers in its mouth. in the end some passerby saw my predickerment and took my bankstick and clobbered it then filled his hands with grass and unhooked it. If that happened now I'd be horrorfied but then I was exstatic and I knew exactly what I was going to do, I stuffed it in a asda bag and took it home on the bus to proudly show my prize catch to my mother. My mother threw a dickie fit, but after the "bringing slimy things like that home" lecture she gutted it and we all had a bit of pike steak for tea.I never did it again.

My point is this:- youngsters "should" be encoraged into this sport, of course they should, but I'm damn sure the bloke who clobbered my pike had probably had less experience in angling than me, and the father of that young boy (and this is only speculation here because i havent read the article )may not have much either but education "is" the right policy for the future of fishing at grass roots levels and projects like angling coaches and the take a friend fishing campaign anad television shows which werent around when i was young are the sources we should use, and sometimes even the best teacher of all "our own mistakes".

fat, stupid hobbit.

Tony C:

quote:

Perhaps we should be asking why the A/T would publish such a picture in the first place.

Why should they not?

My thinking behind them not publishing pictures of dead fish would be to stop people who want their 15 minutes of fame from killing fish.

If they only printed pictures of live fish,then would it not encourage these publicity seekers to return the fish alive?