Underwater Times/Fish news

Tony 1

Great site, lots of interesting reading, just spent an hour on it.

Thanks.

JUST TAKE A LOOK AT THIS

Posted on Sun, Aug. 11, 2002

Flesh-eating bacteria kill fisherman, 69

BOSTON (AP) - A rare flesh-eating bacterium has been blamed for the death of a fisherman, Massachusetts public-health officials said.

Al Holt, 69, died Aug. 1 as a result of infection by Photobacterium damsela, which lives in fish. State officials said they could find only 17 cases of illness caused by the bacterium reported in U.S. medical literature.

Contracting the disease would require being gouged by an infected fish or by a hook that had been in an infected fish. Authorities and family members believe Holt had a cut on his hand that allowed bacteria to infect him when he went fishing July 15.

``It's really extremely unlikely to happen in normal circumstances,'' said Dr. Bela Matyas, medical director of the Department of Public Health's epidemiology program.

Gone onto my favourites page. California hates pike! Other US states hate carp! New Zealand hates koi!

The search facility is great. I tapped in 'Pike', nothing positive came up whatsoever :( . The lengths that California has, and is going to, and the almost countless millions of dollars it has spent in its attempts to eradicate pike, mind blowingly pathetic. The Americans might be ahead of us in many sectors of angling but their campaign against pike makes the Irish look like mere beginners. For once I reckon the US is light years behind us! I e-mailed them the Pike in Your Waters page from the PAC website!!

[ 17. November 2003, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Must admit only just discoverd the site myself yesterday morning, thought far to good to keep to myself :)

Well done Peter positive step lets hope they take some of the information on board :)

Regards Tony.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."

Interesting site. One headline caught my eye and I know it is serious but.....

"Jim Beam warehouse fire in Kentucky sends 800,000galls of burning bourbon into stream - kills fish....... What a way to go!!!!! :D:D

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

I followed one of the links to California re pike culls. Had a very interesting chat with an official over there. Refered him to the Pike in your waters page of the PAC. He seemed genuinly interested. Appears zander are not that popular over there either!