Considering making the switch to pole fishing...

PhilZenith

Hi Everyone.

Hope you all had a nice weekend. I didnt make it to the waterside, so it meant a weekend of daydreaming about fishing instead for me! :)

It led me to really start thinking seriously about getting into "Pole fishing". I rather like the idea of the ready made rigs, the way you can target an area of the water, especially the margins with pinpoint accuracy with your groundbait and your hookbait and, more importantly, i wouldnt have the problems i have right now with lose line on my reel to worry about!!

mmm saying all that just makes me sound like a lazy beginner who wants instead results doesnt it!!

ah well. I will still have my match rod and reel to practice with forseeable future until i can afford a pole anyway!

Anyway......

I Wanted peoples own views,stories,attitudes the the whole subject of Pole Fishing... good or bad.. postive or negative.

Over to you!

WTV

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

poles are for holding washing lines up....

Rods - you know it makes sense

Now, where's my tin hat?

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

Banish all Poles to Poland I say!!

Paul

As far as I am concerned a pole or rod is mearly an extension of the arm.

Without any of them we would be using handlines.

Then some bright spark would use a long thin branch and tie a lenght of line to it.

Then another one would use a better materials to build a longer, stiffer, lighter one.

Then another would add a device to let out / take in line.

Then another develops better materials ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC

There are plenty on here who forget that their trusty rods originate from basic poles.

The pole along with the waggler rod, whip, feeder rod, avon rod, carp rod, spinning rod etc etc etc has a place in an anglers armoury.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

so is there a definate "us and them" attitude when it comes to pole fishing then?

Is that down to how much they cost though i wonder?!!

what your saying rudd is get them all, and be prepared to experiment and try all the methods of fishing there are that suit that particular venue/day?

WTV

I wouldn't say us and them Phil - just gentle banter thats all

Each to his own :)

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

PhilZenith:

what your saying rudd is get them all, and be prepared to experiment and try all the methods of fishing there are that suit that particular venue/day?

Sort of but that would prove very expensive and how would you carry it all?

It depends on what style of fishing you want to do, what venues you fish and what species of fish you target.

You need to find out what pulls your string.

Float fishing, ledgering, lure fishing, carping, rivers, commercials etc etc.

Then start to build up a selection of tackle to suit.

I am an allrounder and could be fishing a match one day, spinning the next, off beach casting the day after then spend the weekend carping etc etc.

I discovered long ago that I dont care what species I target,what venue I fish or what method I use, as long as I am angling I am happy.

What I have learned over the years is watercraft and what method MAY work on the day.

I then take the tackle I think will work on the day.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

quote:

I discovered long ago that I dont care what species I target,what venue I fish or what method I use, as long as I am angling I am happy.
Yeah i like that attitude Rudd.

I started my love for fishing when i used to live down in Cornwall and used to fish off the sea wall at Mevagissey. I only did it for one summer, and then unfortunatley, i had to leave and left fishing along for a few years. Sitting against the seawall on a sunny late afternoon are some of my fondest memories....

anyway, yeah i want to try all styles of fishing as obviously you have to when you "start off" course fishing.

For float fishing then, would you suggest that the Pole is better than the rod?

Peter, whats a Yottie?!! My mate lure fishes for pike on our local waters in st.neots on the River Ouse. He makes his own lures using childrens farm animals like cows and pigs etc and threads trebles through them. Quite funny looking!!!

WTV