Pike not taking my bait

PerfectPiker

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The old adage of "Big Fish Big Bait" Is IMHO utter rubbish!!A classic example of angling folklore.Along with" Deads attract the big girls as they cant be bothered to chase a live bait" and the once popular "lures are only good for Jacks" but the all time classic must be " dont put your hand there boy it will ave yer fingers orf!" :rolleyes::D:D

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Yes I have to agree with Budgie about big bait,big fish. :rolleyes::rolleyes: What complete and utter rubbish. :P:P:P

It is best to do your "homework" first so that you are aware of the drop offs and other unusual features. It seem to me that pike don't want to take the bait. :confused: :confused: Big bait don't alway work when they fancy a meal :confused:

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Couldn't agree more Budgie. I've tried big baits on numerous occasions and the bait has never even had a sniff, never mind a fish. Ive had about 35+ doubles this year with 3 20's thrown in. Almost all the fish were taken on Medium Smelts, Lamprey section or small Brownies about 4-5". My mates biggest fish are usually taken on Sprat.

Seems to me the big bait theory doesn't hold water. I rarely see anyone chucking big baits and I reckon for good reason too.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

While stuggling on the Waveney at Beccles for roach last weekend, all the pike anglers also struggled.

On the suffolk beaches anglers are stuggling for bites from traditional winter species.

THE REASON Its not cold enough.

We have not had one hard frost in Suffolk so far.

We have had four or five small frosts which were gone by 8.30am

The weed is not dying back like it should and the water is warm.

A top place to fish (free fishing) in Suffolk for pike is Beccles

as during the winter there are unbelivable roach and bream shouls for them to prey on :

There are big resident shouls in the Suffolk/norfolk tidal rivers but more fish will arrive there as :

They spend alot of the summer in the upper non tidal areas and in the broads but the water in their summer homes is still warm, when the shallow water gets cold they move to the deeper tidal rivers.

Also we have not had any winter storms that push the brakish water inland which inturn forces course fish further up the tidal rivers to escape the salt.

When these factors come toghether you can have 50lb of roach on the float, 100-150lb bream on the feeder or 20/30 pike of all sizes upto 30lb during a days fishing.

Go on a weekday to avoid the crowds and local matches, ring angling direct in Beccles for more info : 01502713566

Another top stillwater venue is Suffolk water park.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

When I finish work early on the Friday afternoon and I go up to my local reservoir to see what going on. eg water level, wind direction and who is fishing up there. On my club reservoir this week there has been some pike activity this week. Our club members have to fill a detail form on what fish have been coming out of the water. Only a handful of pike have come out so far. Mostly have been caught on deadbait (so I couldn't be wrong in the first place about the deadbaits last weekend) And I think I know were is the hotspot is. :D:D

Unfortuatley I would like to fishing in the midweek but due to work commitment I can't go fishing. :(:( So I am going to give it a try this weekend whatever the weather is even it pouring down with rain :(

I will let everyone know how I got on Sunday night.

Andrew Burgess:

So I am going to give it a try this weekend whatever the weather is even it pouring down with rain :(

I can't recall ever catching more than the odd big pike in heavy rain. Have others found the same?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Steve, I have really caught some pike in the rain, probably a fluke I know other pike anglers say fishing for pike in the rain is a waste of time. :):) And I do agree.

Don't ask me how I did it :P:P . It just come and go :):)

Steve Burke:

Steve Burke:

So I am going to give it a try this weekend whatever the weather is even it pouring down with rain :(

I can't recall ever catching more than the odd big pike in heavy rain. Have others found the same?
Not in really heavy rain but have had exceptionally good results in light drizzle. You know the sort of rain, when the water above a fish goes slightly more glassy than the rest of the surface. Makes location a doddle and other fish seem to come up in the water, the pike following 'em for an easy feed. Might not suit deads on the bottom but sure as heck suits sub surface lures!!