Profiles

Guest Steve Burke

hoppy,

In that you were here first and I do mean first I say HELLO. I am James Henry Hopkins and to make things more intresting, my fathers name was John Wesley Hopkins. I am 47 years old and will be 48 on 25 April. You are one of the few that has chosen this Handle as they say at home. I have worn it since I was about 15 years old and most think it fits. I tell people when they meet me that my name is James, but they call me HOPPY. This is immediately followed by a clearification that I am not a Rabbit nor a Frog and laughter. My profile is simple, I am an American from Jackson, Mississippi living and working in Germany for now. I am married to a very beautiful lady and have 1 child. I have 3 other children by my previous wife on many years. I am retired military with 23 years of service and now work as a civilian with them. I have other noted intrest in my sign-on profile, but FISHING is my LOVE. I have fished since I was old enough to know what it was. I have been told that I was 6 weeks old and my Mom and Dad had me in the boat while they fished. My first memory of me actually catching fish was when I was 4 and catching Bluegill with a canepoll. I have fished in 5 countries other than the USA and in 8 states. I have been able to fish salt and fresh water with Good success. I started to fish in Europe in 1987 while in Holland and that was my initiation for CARP fishing. I have continued my education of European fishing since 1995 when I returned to Germany. My largest fish has been a 25lb. Carp and my most enjoyable session was 5 fish within an hour of 50lb. on my Birthday 25 April, 1985.

------------------

HOPPY

[This message has been edited by HOPPY4 (edited 24 January 2002).]

Guest tench69

Stephen Jackson, 09/07/54 married to Barbara with two boys nearly 19 and nearly 17.

Raised in a village on the Cumbria Northumbria border sitting on the river Irthing. Started fishing for Trout when about 8, the first course fish, Perch from an old quary about a mile away.

Left school at 16 and had over 4years in a garage as an app mechanic,3months in RAF, went gardening for 12 years ,6 years at Lilliput where I met Scoobs and over 9 years in my present occupation driving and drain clearing.

Over the years Ihave had a Terrier,Lurcher and a Ferret for Rabits and did a bit of rough shooting.

Started more serious course fishing about 8 years ago,first Pike, then general coarse fish but Ihave also done a bit of sea fishing.

Steve.. smile.gif

Ken Loughran. Born 1964 and currently living in Birmingham. Single.

I started angling with my dad so long ago that I can't remember a time when I haven't fished.

After learning the basics, I spent my teens and early twenties fishing club matches with some holliday sea fishing thrown in. After a bit of a hiatus when I was living and working in the North East, I brought my first lure rod. The lure fishing seems to have catalized my angling and I'm now happy with anything from a #4 weight fly rod to a beachcaster. Lure fishing is my first love though and I can be found waist deep in the Teme or Severn regularly through the summer.

Other than fishing, a lot of my time is spent with martial arts training and I run a small club teaching a fairly eclectic mix of JuJitsu, Aikido, Boxing and Wrestling. I take it as a great compliment that We've never had to advertise and we have the lowest rates of drop out anf injury of any club I've ever been involved in.

I also love travelling and will be off though Asia and Australia for about five months from mid Frebruary - needless to say, I'll be packing two rods.

Guest Richard Capper

Sorry to be a party pooper and call me paranoid but really don't like to give out any details! Especially as often things can quite heated you never know who is out there!

Guest poledark

My name is Dennis Darkin, known as poledark.

Born 3/12/37 so that means my birthday is Dec 3rd.

That is all you need to know at the moment, tarra. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Den

Guest Andy Capped

Hello - I’m probably the board’s newest member (signed up yesterday) and possibly the oldest ! At least, I can’t see anyone more ancient than me in these two pages of profiles.

My name is Geoff Scott, born in 1934 but didn’t take up fishing until I was 38. Caught the bug after taking my children fishing off the pier at Cromer and landed a small eel. Small it might have been, but the thrill of that catch propelled me to explore coarse and game fishing until, it seemed, coarse fishing took over my life. In the next year or so I read hundreds of books on fishing and devoured the angling press with the enthusiasm of a 12 year old. I joined local fishing clubs in Herts and Essex but after exploring match fishing for a while I decided I was at my happiest when searching for big specimens. So much so that I joined The Mid Essex Specimen Group as a founder member and was elected the Group’s first Secretary, a position I enjoyed for a number of years. Inevitably, work got in the way, as it does, and I gave up ‘administration’ to be a lone fisher once again.

Best fish todate: Barble 11lbs 4 oz ; Pike 23 lbs 9 oz : Chub 4 lbs 8 oz ; Carp 17 lbs 4 oz (I never did catch a ‘20’) and Tench 6 lbs 15 oz (it didn’t break the 7lb barrier, dammit). Oh yes, and a salmon of 7 lbs too.

I am now a handicapped angler ‘cos my acute arthritis doesn’t allow me to walk very far from car to swim, so I restrict my visits to venues where that journey isn’t a problem.

I have corresponded with Leon Murphy a couple of times and he thinks I’m half blind as well but it’s not true, just the start of senile dementia setting in.

Guest Kevin Hackett

Hi,

My name does not appear often because I am usually too busy to do anything other than read the latest postings during my lunchbreaks. I've been fishing for the past 25 years or so working my way around the midlands starting at Nottingham and ending up near Peterborough - via Leicester, Coventry and Northampton.

This is the reason it seems I have fished a lot of waters, but never stayed around long enough to really succeed on them.

I will fish for anything with fins on, but in general the targets are Tench, Pike, Bream, Chub and then anything else.

My targets for the near future is to up the PB for tench from 8-10 to 9+ and the PB for pike up from 29-12, just so I can have caught a thirty. I would still be pleased with a 29-14 though.

In general I prefer quiet waters and so I tend to give the popular ones a miss. This is the reason I don't list carp above. Maybe I will find a nice, underfished carp lake somewhere, but I won't hold my breath.

My biggest problem with fishing is the lack of time I can give it. Living on the edge of the fens, between the Welland, Nene and Great Ouse river systems I have enough waters down on my must visit list to cover several seasons as it is. When you fish on your own and tend to stay away from other anglers, it can take a very long time to get to know waters.

Regards to all

Kevin

Guest Phil spring hook Berriman

Hi

My full name is Philip Berriman, I live in norton, Stockton on Tees. born 18.10.57. I learned to sail and fish from the age of 8. We have we believe, the oldest boat saling the north east coast. The Kestal is a 36 foot gaff rigged yawl first built in 1900 at Cowes. We have owned this craft for 30 years and won many NECRA races with her. (on account of the then handicap system which took into account the age of the boat.

`My last proper job was a fireman when I was 20 then I went into the motor trade and other business's. I ended up dealing salvage and various boats. In 93/94 I sold boats to the wrong people and ended up sailing one into falmouth with 3.7 tons of cannabis (the largest ever haul on a private yacht)on 4th Sept 94 I lost my business's whilst detained for 15 months before being aquitted at Exeter in Nov 95.My defence was one of durress as I had been forced to committ this crime under threat. During that time I invented my hook and although since I have invented various things. One such thing FRYMATE is a hand held device which cleans cooking oil in commercial kitchens, it recieved the top SMART award of £150K last year and will be on sale soon.

I spend my spare time fishing, with normal hooks on the river as my device is more sea fishing.

Fishing gives me time to think which is my curse and any inventors curse, it stops uou sleeping and its mainly wasted in vain.

My priorities are those closest to me, my fiance Donna and our kids. Money is not important now, I had it, abused it and got my arse kicked after larging it like a prat.

I believe fish don't feel pain and until it is proved different without dispute I will fish. IT is a horrifying prospect if they do!

Watching Arnie in the film Predator last night it made me wonder? The guys are hiding in the jungle, hunted by a much more capable more intelligent being with boss equipment and technology. This alien angler hunts above them in the trees and spots em with infra red before despatching death leaving only the skinned body and bone for the victims pals to find. I was a bit stoned but i could imagine Arnie and friends as a bunch of fish who have heard about the aliens (anglers) who live on another world (land)where fish cannot live. They use magic (monofilament) force which is unseen, this power drags you round (the fight) until a giant cage (the net) is brought up around you and launches you up to the land planet where they(aliens) conduct experiments (handling, disgourging, weighing and photographing) before you are placed in another mass Jail (keep net) with no room to move for hours in Alien time but months for us. Some times only the head, backbone and tail is all that is found of our friends we lose.

I hope and prey I am right that fish don't feel anything but are instinctive. If not, there will be an Arnie down there one day and we are all doomed.

My website is www.springloadedfishinghooks.com. be kind it is for predator fish only and can be unhooked for return with little damage. I don't want a debate, I have heard and agree with most of it.

Guest Chris Goddard

Hi all been meaning to do this for a while now ('aint we all??)

Born Halifax 21/12/1956 named Christopher Stuart Goddard. Started fishing at about 7yr's old on Blackpool pier. Caught a 11/2 lb flounder and been "Hooked" ever since. Joined Royal Navy at 18 and left aged 32 with a bad dose of arthuritis for which the Paymaster general recompenses me admirably for!! Married to Janet for 25 years on the 19th March this year. Which Is the day We fly to USA for 3 weeks or so!!!

Two daughters 23 & 21 Both in there own homes!!

Lost my best friend 18 months ago. We had been going fishing for nigh on 35 years together. Just Inherited all his tackle. But It Is all cane this and centrepin that! Not really able to do It justice with My hands etc. BUT do not ask If It Is for sale as a gobful of abuse irritates most people!! It Is NOT for 4 sale as money could not buy It!

Caught all sorts of fish all over the world Tuna in the atlantic, poor cod in Grytviken Harbour, octopus In Gibraltar, allsorts. No real PB for anything, never caught anything worth weighing. Once did weigh a Bream for a friend in the dark - opening night 1993. Never seen avon scales before. The fish weighed just under 7 lbs. Next morning I asked what the coloured rings were for?? Then realised no wonder the fish looked big for 7lbs!! It was nearly 14lbs!! Would have won a prize in the News of the world would that!! And from a very small water (a moat actuallY) in Gosport.

Now eaking out a living as a Kitchen Installer and doing a bit of gas fitting on the side. Hopefully going to catch my first Grayling this week (Eh Chris?)

And If youve read this far Thank You!! And hope to see some more of you this year at the various events Up and Down the country!!

Chris

Join the ANMC like me!!

You KNOW It makes sense!!