Zander In Oxford Canal

Elton

Anderoo do you think in the areas that have Zander in the Oxford they may suplement there diet with crayfish,Zillions of the buggers in there but agree not a great deal of prey fish....plenty of Carp though .

Good question Steve, I don't know if they like the crays.

I guess the small canals aren't that different from the small fenland drains, so they would probably settle in OK if allowed. I can't see these types of waterways supporting a big population of zander though, but maybe a few big ones.

As you say, loads of carp!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

All,

Walleye (zander) LOVE carp. It's just that folks will not leave the zander alone long enough to eat the small carp. Do the carp propagate or are they coming from other watershed sources? Walleye can clean out a years spawn in one summer.

Phone

BW have a real hang up about Zander and tend to persecute them in any of their waters!

They really do hate them. On the Gl. canal, there are 2 rules - 1. no night fishing, 2. all zander caught must be killed. I reckon those 2 rules might just be related :rolleyes:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music