which whip

frodo_uk

Ok firstly let me apologies for going over old ground because I posted something similar not too far back asking advise on whips.

Only now I've actually got the cash to buy one and would like to know which you guys 'n' gals would recommend?

I've been reliably informed (I hope) that I should try to buy a whip that is sectioned as opposed to telescopic and that some now come with two tips, one that can be elasticated.(power whips I beleive).

I was thinking initially for canal work, however I also fish two or three fisheries that hold a good range of fish (and I mean everything including carp "barbel" tench roach perch chub orfe rudd ect ect) most of these species grow to a good size too.

So, baring in mind that I'm a complete novice when it comes to the whip and have never ever used one before which whip do you recommend,and how strong are they? what the maximum size of fish I could expect to manage on a whip?

my budget is between £100-£150.

I'll return regularly with interest at your replies thanx -------frodo

fat, stupid hobbit.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would go for the edge.It comes with 2 tips,on for size 10 elastic which is a good all rounder and it also comes with a power tip for size 20 hit and hold tactics capable of taming a big double no probs.They go on ebay for 30/40 ishi i think,they are 5m but im sure they have a 1.5 m extension.

Go and ask at your local tackle shop, if they are any good they will be able to advise you on what to go for.

It depends on where you fish and what you hope to catch, your local shop should have some idea of the best type to suit you.

Mark

Mark

frodo_uk:

thx for the advice klienboet I've just seen a nice cato'nine tails, with a hook on each tail reckon that should improve my catch rate no end :D:D:D

Watch catch rate!!! :D:D

No seriously, the Preston Aerotex Whip 4.5m around £50

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Are you sure you want a whip? It sound to me like you'd be better off with a conventional pole. For a start you won't be limited to a certain length. Also you can fish a normal pole as a whip if you want to but you can also fish it with a short line. Shop around and get the longest and best pole you can afford.

Check out the bennets of sheffield website there are loads of poles in your price range.

Anyone else might correct me but a longer pole (10m +) with several spare top secions will be much more flexible than a short whip.

[ 11. July 2004, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: Richard Capper ]

I think some on here need to know the difference between poles and whips.

A pole starts from about 9m lond and is designed for use with an elastic ranging from size 1 to 20 depending on model. Remember to check the maximum elastic the pole can take.

A hit and hold / margin pole is approx 6m long with very thick walls making it fairly heavy but balanced due to its short length and will take a 20+ elastic.

A whip is between 3m and 8m long and fairly thin.

They are designed for use with line to hand tactics for mainly small fish normally with on the drop tactics.

They are thin and light to hit quick bites.

There are several companies that supply two top sections. One for line to hand with the flick tip and one with a hollow tip for elastic upto a size 6.

I would class anything taking over a size 6 as a margin pole.

Middy and Daiwa do some craking whips.

With your budget I would take a look at the Daiwa range.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!