massive eels found dead.

tony jolley

Unconfirmed as yet, But from a very reliable source is that a fishery has reported finding several eels dead, some of these eels were in the 9lb+ bracket.

I have been told the EA were informed, Who took a sample netting of the water and removed 10 percent of the catch. After tests they showed a 100 percent infection ratio of the parasite Angillacoli crassus.

It was unknown how the parasite would affect the eel, Many thinking that it would affect its migration. However from first signs the parasite once inside the eel will continue to grow untill the eels gut is unable to allow food to pass thus starving the eel.

I will try to find out more asap.

Tony B.T Jolley

Tony, Angillacoli crassus sounds like a particularly nasty parasite. Is this the one from Japan? If so, it would perhaps explain why it is killing its host (something that isn't normally in a parasite's best interests). If the parasite hasn't evolved alongside its host, the host has seemingly failed to develop strategies to survive infestation.

9 lbs?!?! That is enormous. What's the UK record? I mentioned in another thread that I caught my first eel last week and I definately have a lot of respect for them. It fought like a real beast.

God knows what a 9lb eel fights like. Scary.

The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

It is also possible that there was some other agent involved in the death of these eels that made them susceptable to the parasite. at 9lbs it is likely to be a fairly old eel and thus its immune system and digestive system may have made it a more welcome host than other younger fitter eels.

Wouldnt panic as yet.

IIRC the growth rate is 1Lb per 10 yers of age, the maths alone is quite astonishing.

Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail

Hi Jim,

Yes it is the same as the japanise parasite, It is believed to be as a result of escaped eels from a lorry in the Thames area.

I believe the European eel has not built up a resistance to it and is suffering in the way you suggest.

JBEE123 Eels of all sizes were found dead, tthis parasite affects all eels it comes into contact with.

Tony B.T Jolley