Worst waste of money

Pangolin

Following on from Malevans' thread, what single purchase do you consider your worst waste of money, when buying tackle? Mine has to be a Mitchell 624 boat reel, which I bought in the early 80s, for a Plymouth wreck-fishing trip that never happened, because the weather turned nasty. I tried it as a pike reel, but couldn't cast deadbaits without getting overruns. It never caught a fish... and was eventually sold for a fiver! I could add to that a number of very expensive lures that have been lost on the first cast, but that's just part of the lure-fishing game!

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Pangolin:

Topic: Worst waste of money

Each and every spool of line that doesn't meet its label claim ... for Breaking Strength .... or diameter .... or abrasion-resistance .... or stretch ... sometimes because it's been on the shelf in the shop for 5 years :mad:

DG

[ 08. April 2004, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Octoplus feeder arm. The number of times that the rodrest head overturned was enough to render it useless to me, yet I think the rest of the system is brilliant.

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

think i am goign to have to say Hemp Pellet - complete load of cr@p !! back onto the real stuff instead :D

and probably ESP mainline, 12lb i found kinked far to much, although i think i had a dodgy spool as its a highly rated line :D

www.stoneyandfriends.co.uk

Some years ago, I splashed out on a new 30lb class boat rod for a trip organised through work.

Having anchored up and caught a string of mackeral, I was overcome by sea sickness and spent the rest of the trip semi-concious laying on the deck, with the occasional lurch to the side of the boat for a futile attempt at emptying an already empty stomach.

The rod hasn't seen action since!

Then there was the cheap fixed spool reel that I bought that had the knack of tangling line.

Tight Lines - leon

ps The artificial bread that I bought back in the late '50s had fish laughing all over the lake, so I guess that comes a good 3rd, though not nearly as expensive!

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Suffix Herculine! Lethal stuff, absolutely lethal.

I have only ever regreted buying one rod and that was a John Wilson Six-Shooter. Horrible thing :( but it was the only generally available, reasonably priced baitcaster at the time.

[ 08. April 2004, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]