Worst waste of money

Pangolin

A Winfield (Woolworths own brand) multiplier in the 70's. Too many birds nests to count, it eventually died when a brick wall hit it at about 50-60mph :rolleyes:

Tight lines

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now Kleinboet . . the Clever Claw . . was it that bad . . we took photos of it the other year and it is on our list of "to makes" in our maintenance shop . . should I bother I wonder then ?

A foot plate . . took mine off and use two overturned bait boxes . . does the same and at a fraction of the weight . .

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !

Bradford Angler - look again, I said it looked a good idea at the time, BUT, try setting it up to hold the pole just above the water. After trying, for about a half hour, to set the height correctly, I gave up and threw it in my tackle bag, never to be used again! :mad:

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

A Shimano SX baitcaster - Rubish.

I replaced it by mail order with a Shimano Stradic baitcaster which was to soft to use as a baitcaster and to long at 7 feet. Fortunatly, this one wasn't a total loss 'cause it makes a nice rod for trolling the cut with a sideplaner.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

doesnt cost much, but Korum Baitspikes, absolutely cr@p, the little plastic spike snaps off the line every time, cut through bait, and doesnt go into anything harder than luncheon meat, which rules out nearly all baits!

John S:

A Winfield (Woolworths own brand) multiplier in the 70's.

Hah! I have seen John Holden, on grass, using a Winfield "Bass" rod and narrowspool Winfield multiplier ... (black thing) put a 3 ounce lead off the ground the length of a football pitch and over a rather large oak tree beyond said football pitch. Holding the rod up in the air he just let all of the line run off the reel.

Blooming amazing!

This was in the 70's at a country house at Burley in the New Forest on a Winfield Sponsored Beach fishing weekend. I was a teenager at the time and couldn't cast for toffees despite having decent gear.

It just goes to show that it ain't the tools but the hands that are holding them.

My biggest waste of money ... possibly the ABU484 and Mitchell 600AP I was trying to use at that time .... far too good for me. 8-)

quote:

A Winfield (Woolworths own brand) multiplier in the 70's. Too many birds nests to count, it eventually died when a brick wall hit it at about 50-60mph
i still use my international 50 as a backup reel ,but it had 15 years hard work,cant fault it except after 20 tears the handle is a bit loose ,anyone know who made them ,top class stuff (not sure about the spinfishers though ) :)

Posted Image

my biggest waste of money was my Silstar Tradition 17ft float rod :( so over ringed it cant cast ,so i use my old fiberglass one :)

[ 09. April 2004, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Mick:

Mick:

A Winfield (Woolworths own brand) multiplier in the 70's.

Hah! I have seen John Holden, on grass, using a Winfield "Bass" rod and narrowspool Winfield multiplier ... (black thing) put a 3 ounce lead off the ground the length of a football pitch and over a rather large oak tree beyond said football pitch. Holding the rod up in the air he just let all of the line run off the reel.

Blooming amazing!

The one I bought was the green one, costing about 5 pounds brand new IIRC. Total pap. I've never thought about buying another one since, until recently. I wouldn't mind trying one for spinning, but it would have to be a good one.

Tight lines

[ 09. April 2004, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: John S ]

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.