Baitcaster for dead baiting

Guest Wilko 09

Guest Wilko 09

Hi all,

I have been Pike fishing for a couple of seasons now with a PB of 21lb 4oz.

I usually use a couple of Shimano fixed spools but have a ABU Blackmax baitcaster which I originally bought for spinning which has not had a lot of use, it is loaded with 30lb fireline braid and I would love to try it out for my dead-baiting, I like the size, the low profile, no line twist and the ultra smooth freespool which can be controlled with the thumb.

I mostly fish still waters but also fish small rivers and man made drains.

Is there any advice you can give or any radical differences in rigs or techniques that you guys have come up with?

Any problems that you anticipate when using one?

Are drop backs still suitable for bite detection?

Are the rods rested in the conventional way?

I am looking for your views to all these types of questions

Many thanks,

Martin

Martin, a baitcaster is not designed for deadbaiting. It is far to short to mend the line when striking for one thing, far to flimsy for another. Use it for what it was designed for, enjoy it and probably catch more!

I think Wilko's asking about the suitability of the reel Peter.

Durrrr, in that case, it presumably being a low profile multiplier, I'd advocate dumping the fixed spools or reserving them for carp. The only reservation to that being if fishing at distance but then I would suggest getting nearer!

Just checked, yes, tis:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40...-All-Categories

Reservations on line capacity but then I have always striven to fish within 50 yards for pike due to bite indication as much as anything.

Edited by Peter Waller

I can fore see one problem, and thats over runs from a taking pike. There isnt any way of controlling the reel giving line unless you tighten up on the spindle. This would cause unnecessary resistance.

Isn't that what the drag system is for??

I do 80% of my fishing using deadbaits and for bigger fish, namely spanish mackerel and estuary cod. Set the drag system at about 1/3 the line strength, an 8" pilchard, cast out, then click the reel into gear...

By the way, I use ABU 5600C4 with 20 lb braid or a Shimano TR200G with 30lb braid

BTW I like the look of that ABU Blackmax :thumbs:

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Bob, on quite a lot of our pike waters the fish can be very finicky/wary, and any significant amount of resistance will cause them to drop the bait. Open bail/fixed spool is the answer here. A multiplyer would probably set up to much resistance, even with drag/clutch set so it doesn't overrun on the take.

A couple of years ago I changed from fishing with the baitrunner set loose, to fishing open bail...................almost no dropped runs now :)

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Bob, on quite a lot of our pike waters the fish can be very finicky/wary, and any significant amount of resistance will cause them to drop the bait. Open bail/fixed spool is the answer here. A multiplyer would probably set up to much resistance, even with drag/clutch set so it doesn't overrun on the take.

A couple of years ago I changed from fishing with the baitrunner set loose, to fishing open bail...................almost no dropped runs now :)

Den

I find that rather odd, mate. I used to fish for pike in Doe Park Reservoir near Denholme, Yorkshire, 50 years ago and they were anything but finicky. They are solely a predatory fish and from their colouring and "rear nounted propulsion gear", ambushers, pouncing, if that is the word, on hapless baitfish.

What I used to do and still do with the mack attack, cast out, allow the deadbait to fall through the water column for about 5/6 seconds and twitch the rod tip, then wind in a couple of turns. Then repeat the process thus making the deadbait look like an injured fish.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

I would say thats closer the mark Wilko.

Never noticed a tendency for Pike to drop a run, until I picked up the rod that is and began my strike. Now I use circles and abruptly stop the baitrunner after 2-3 seconds, virtually bolt rigging them in the scissors. Don't even really strike now, just hold on and give the tip a small, sharp jerk when I feel the weight!

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue