E bay V Retailer

Dave H

I am quite surprised over many things that have changed but one thing to me is how the gap between so called 2nd hand equipment on E-bay is not really much cheaper than new from a retailer. Years a go they where huge but the retail seems to have become cheaper.

An example was a Bait indicator that was sold for £25 on E-bay and yet the same new was only £30 and then offcoarse it is brand new!

I guess if you are a youngster or unemployed or disabled i might sound pompous and i do not want to feel you think that way.

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

99% of the time I buy off fleebay or from online tackle shops, alot of the shops being normal high street shops using their heads a bit and giving decent discount to compete. For me a lot of tackle shops don't deserve trade as they just hate to give even a few pence off the RRP seemingly prefferring to loose a sale altogether and let the customer go to another seller rather than give a bit of discount....in my books they're greedy beggers and if they finnish up closing then sod em !

A friend of mine used to own one of the largest tackle shops in the country and he told me what he payed for tackle. He used to at least double up on items of tackle so that means there's plenty of scope for a bit of discount.

Edited by Tigger

The thing with e-bay is you need to know the tackle market and exactly what you are looking for. It is surprising what you can pick up especially with older tackle which is not recognised by many newer anglers. Yes there are some good deals about but everthing new is made to a price and in many cases a good oldun can be better than a newun. One of the areas I think that this is very relevant is Shimano where to me the quality has dropped considerably both in rods and reels. The other side of the coin is that you can also get some new and excellent items at a very good price but unless you are sure about what you are buying it can be a minefield as there is an awful lot of badge engineering however, the retailer gives you the opportunity to view things in the flesh and have a play before you buy. Whilst I do use and support my local retailer for a lot of my requirements, I will look further afield for many other items as the retailer may not stock what I am looking for and on some occassions will finish up making it myself.

Edited by tincatinca

If ever there came a time when I had no local greedy tackle shops to purchase my maggots from then i'd simply nip over to the maggot farm myself ....simples really in'it :rolleyes:

During the summer months maggots are so easy to breed i'd just have a few buckets on the go.

The shops who sell on the net at a good prices have exactly the same overheads as any other shop. The only difference is that they're intelligent enough to sell online as well as through their shop.

TT, your definatly right about alot of the older tackle being of superiour quality and people not recognising it, although there does seem to be a few of the more clued up anglers knocking up the prices these days....barstewards :lol:.

I'll buy large items online if they're not available locally but everything else I get from my nearest tackle shop which is 8 miles away. It's a diversion from my route to the Kennet but I really do believe that we need to keep these retailers in business…..and not just fishing tackle shops.

When I moved to Wantage five years ago I bought all of my white goods from the local electrical retailer, I had this quaint notion of supporting the local economy and I paid over the odds. Now I think that if I want a town square worth visiting it’s essential that I (and others) subsidise the independent shops. I regard it as a sort of tax imposed by an economy in tatters but at least I see something in return.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

99% of the time I buy off fleebay or from online tackle shops, alot of the shops being normal high street shops using their heads a bit and giving decent discount to compete. For me a lot of tackle shops don't deserve trade as they just hate to give even a few pence off the RRP seemingly prefferring to loose a sale altogether and let the customer go to another seller rather than give a bit of discount....in my books they're greedy beggers and if they finnish up closing then sod em !

A friend of mine used to own one of the largest tackle shops in the country and he told me what he payed for tackle. He used to at least double up on items of tackle so that means there's plenty of scope for a bit of discount.

Did he also tell you what he paid in rates, wages, electricity, insurance and all ther other overheads? If they were such greedy beggars as you infer the High Street would be swamped with tackle shops :rolleyes:

Regards, Clive

Did he also tell you what he paid in rates, wages, electricity, insurance and all ther other overheads? If they were such greedy beggars as you infer the High Street would be swamped with tackle shops :rolleyes:

He owned the building, he was and still is dirty rich. By the way he would always give discount over the counter that's why he had plenty customers who always came back to his shop to spend their hard earned coin. Every buisness that employes people has to pay wages and everyone in the country has bills, taxes, insurance and all the other overheads to pay :rolleyes: .

He owned the building, he was and still is dirty rich. By the way he would always give discount over the counter that's why he had plenty customers who always came back to his shop to spend their hard earned coin. Every buisness that employes people has to pay wages and everyone in the country has bills, taxes, insurance and all the other overheads to pay :rolleyes: .

Exactly. So now you know where much of that 100% gross mark up goes. :rolleyes:

Many High Street tackle shops were set up when the High Street rates were lower and the High Streets were busier. Now it is out of town, industrial estate tackle shops that tend to thrive due to lower rates and rent / mortgage and also greater shop space.

To say that tackle dealers are greedy is niaive and incorrect. Many are fighting for their survival and many more are going out of business, and all you are doing is comparing shops with higher overheads to the tackle warehouse / online retailers who have managed to cut overheads and can therefore reduce their pricesd accordingly.

Regards, Clive

Exactly. So now you know where much of that 100% gross mark up goes. :rolleyes:

Many High Street tackle shops were set up when the High Street rates were lower and the High Streets were busier. Now it is out of town, industrial estate tackle shops that tend to thrive due to lower rates and rent / mortgage and also greater shop space.

To say that tackle dealers are greedy is niaive and incorrect. Many are fighting for their survival and many more are going out of business, and all you are doing is comparing shops with higher overheads to the tackle warehouse / online retailers who have managed to cut overheads and can therefore reduce their pricesd accordingly.

The reason they're going out of buisness is bacause they'd prefer to sell half a dozen items at the full RRP rather than sell 20 times that number of items with some discount from the RRP .....greedy :rolleyes:

The reason they're going out of buisness is bacause they'd prefer to sell half a dozen items at the full RRP rather than sell 20 times that number of items with some discount from the RRP .....greedy :rolleyes:

Absolute rubbish! I think these comments taken with your recent posts on Eastern European anglers demonstrate that the Urban Myth is still a feature of some people's 'personal experience'.

Regards, Clive