Floating Pennywort

arbocop

Drifting downstream into the Thames... I don't know who is cutting ti upstream but there are large chunks of it drfiting down the Kennet in the current. For those less failiar with this plant, it is problematic because it can grow up to 20cm per day and may quickly dominate a water body forming thick mats and impeding water flow. It is an invasive from the US and can spread by the smallest of cuttings and establish downstream.

Click Here

and here

Extensive problems with this weed have been reported from RDAA on the Foudry Brook [a tributary of the Kennet upstream of Reading] recently and the removal was a very messy business involving an 'Aquatractor' - which I assume it some kind of boat mounted flail. I don't think that these two things are connected, but there were big chunks of cut weed floating downstream through Reading today. The pieces are fresh, so it's not been dislodged by the recent rain water rasing the levels.

These peices may start to establish in the Thames, as there are a few SouthEast anglers on here - has anyone any idea where it may be coming from?

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Mikey, where have you been? Good to see you posting again :clap2::clap2:

And how nice to see a thread which won't end in an argument. Another example of Pennywort encountered on my Thames trip with Steve, this was a sidestream just off the K&A canal as we approached Reading;

Chockedstream-1.jpg

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Mikey, where have you been? Good to see you posting again :clap2::clap2:

And how nice to see a thread which won't end in an argument. Another example of Pennywort encountered on my Thames trip with Steve, this was a sidestream just off the K&A canal as we approached Reading;

Chockedstream-1.jpg

This is the Foudry Brook.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Oh no it isn't.

I know it's pantomime season, but 'oh yes, it is'!

Oh no it isn't.

Oh yes it is mate did i call it something else on the trip??Mike that has been a problem ever since it escaped through an overflow ditch from green park lake....small bits have been breaking off as it meets the kennet for some time now .

last year they hada great big tracked kubuto type machine removeing it but there is always a tiny bit left then a bit of sunshine and voila.....Worryingly close to the Oracle now and flood conditions may see some swept out....

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Yes it is - and nice to see it spelt correctly too - most folks seem to call it FouNdry Brook.

C.

Thank you - I like to get things right!

I spotted some more of the sodding stuff this evening on my way back from the station - big lumps of it still coming downstream. I am going to e-mail the EA tomorrow.

Steve - the thing you were describing was an 'Aquatractor' - a kind of boat mounted flail with a weed catchy thing attached. I thought that RDAA used this on the Foudry Brook ages ago though, this is fresh.

Mike