Fish lose 30% of their eyesight in cold water

Anderoo

Kappa,

You've hit the nail on the head. In all likelyhood many if not most UK puddle carp are blind as a bat.

I don't like "human comparisons". Carp are fish. I would ask you what affect/effect "not being able to close your eyes" might have? And, the "peep hole" in your eye opens and closes. Carp eyes are fixed. If you think about it you'd be blind as a bat too. Shouldn't matter it's not going to happen - you're human. Your own logic would lead you to some degree ofblindness wouldn't it? How much you think is acceptable - just off the cuff - 35%?

Once again, AND for perhaps the 500th time. Blind carp do just as well as their sighted counterparts

Just to be clear I am not disputing that blind carp live just fine.

I am disputing that most carp caught 3 or 4 times are blind. That statement is simply not true and irresponsible.

I'm not blind because I don't stare into the sun, it is uncomfortable. Just about every picture you'll see of carp on a mat shows them with their eyes 'looking' down, not staring into the sun.

post-560-1324631922_thumb.jpg

Rich

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If this was true, it would mean that when stalking carp that have been caught a few times before, as long as you made no noise, you could stand on the skyline and wave your arms.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Kappa,

Like most British anglers you are disputing you blind them. That's OK by me. Consider is a genetic problem for which you have no responsibility.

British answers since the 1970's range from sillyness (like Androos') to downright pious reverence for all things carp and denial.

I will once again, give you a chance to "pick a number" of fish you blind. I say, after 3 or 4 times they are all between totally functionally blind with plenty of science behind me. Don't YOU take some sanctimonious position blame ME for your blind carp!! I just bare the news.

Anglers kill fish, that's what we do!

Phone

I think Phones' 90 degrees were angular, not temperature ;)

damn no wonder it tasted bad i thought it was 10 minutes at 90 degrees :oops:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

interesting and i watched a time lapse film of a cut goldfish's optic nerve regrowing in lab conditions ,seems nerves of any type follow chemical pathways which steer them to their destination,in the case of everything in development within the egg or womb but as i said (and witnessed myself in a pet goldfish ) goldfish can regrow eyesight not sure in mines case hw it lost its sight nor what was effected but after a few years of blindness in one eye it gradually responded to me in the blind side whereas before it noticed nothing

http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/20...0/1/0000131.pdf

goldfish are ofcourse a bit carpy so luckily our blinded carp can happily find food with their noses until they can see what the heck tasted so bad / good after a few years ,hopefully the sight doesnt come back when they are scoffing the crap from the blind carp leading them

thinking about it the tank sat on a south facing window sill so sun at the correct angle may have been available but strangely only the one went blind ,the others just gasped at the surface on really hot days

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I will once again, give you a chance to "pick a number" of fish you blind.

Ok, for your theory of how they might get blinded , zero.

I say, after 3 or 4 times they are all between totally functionally blind with plenty of science behind me.

Ok, that is great you have made that clear. I look forward to seeing some of this science. Presumably you have had some of it peer reviewed and published, as part of your PhD thesis perhaps?

Don't YOU take some sanctimonious position blame ME for your blind carp!! I just bare the news.

I don't blame you for any blind carp, not least because there aren't any (blinded for the reason you suggest).

As I said before I think this is a seriously irresponsible statement for a public site, especially given you are presenting it as proven fact, not conjecture or hypothesis etc etc. Either prove it, or retract it.

Rich

Edited by Kappa

Kappa,

A not uncommon British response. You're being Not realistic, head in the sand. It is the BEST way to help the "anti's" I know of.

My PhD theisis? (your using smart ass remarks reflects badly on you - not me). Too bad for you and the discussion.

"BLIND CARP" is a seriously RESPONSIBLE statement for which 99% of the average UK carping is in total denial. BTW it is well accepted in your scientific circles (bet you never ask?). If you don't want to believe me. Look to no fewer than 100 Hungrian stuidies, 50 Israeli studies. Point is - at least in the past - you will continue to be in denial regardless of any "proof". The facts are available. I seriously doubt you really care. I've played this game many times the the British. Eventually you just stop replying and "pretend" it isn't true regardless of "facts presented".

You need to "get real" Anglers kill fish - slowly or quickly - but that's what we do. Get over it. You have no guilt responsibility for being an angler. Blind carp do quite nicely. Isn't that good to know?

Phone

Facts then please, if you have them, or links to these other studies.

I was being serious before. If carp do go blind in the way you say, why do they still spook away from anglers because of movement?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Phone are you sure your not getting muddled ? when an English angler shouts" blimey a carp" hes not remarking the carps blind only that hes rejoicing in its capture!

shouting "gorblimey its a carp" doesn't mean divine interference in the carps visual demise either but joyous recognition its a bigger version than usual ,strange us English bods with language and stuff

i blame it on every londoner being the spawn of a particular disney chimney sweep or is it chiminee sweep watcher mate ,anyway i'm orf to chim me chimarees on me titfer tat up the apples and stairs

Edited by chesters1