Low water levels in the Kennet

tiddlertamer

I have been monitoring the levels from the Environment Agency website and their publications. Overall it seems August and September were wetter than average, but the dry spring and previous dry winter has meant low groundwater levels and therefore low flows and levels across the south east. Although recent rainfall has prevented a drought, a heavy and prolonged winter recharge is needed for rivers to fully recover.

The Thames is currently lower than normal levels, but the Wey, Lea, and Medway are considerably lower for the time of year, and the Kennet even lower.

The low flows are not only exposing fish and drying out the rivers, the reduced water concentrates pollutants such as road run-off, so any rain which would top up the system is more toxic. Phosphates and nitrates from land use and sewage treatment are a particular problem. The Kennet suffers from algae on the bottom in particular, as a result of the increased phosphates, and this in turn prevents aquatic plants such as water crowfoot from developing. Aquatic plants help to increase levels by filling the water as well as providing places for fish to hide and spawn. The stretch I fish is so shallow and clear you can see the bottom and walk accross in wellies where 14lb barbel used to lurk. I assume they've dropped downstream.

If it doesn't rain then there will be enough in the aquifers to maintain a chalk stream. If we suck all the water up out of the aquifer (cheap water) to clean cars, water lawns, washing machines, and all the stuff we use indirectly via manufacturing or food production, then we are all guilty. I looked up some details on line and discovered a report by OFWAT. It suggested that we have one of the highest water demands in Europe per household.

The average usage in the UK is shocking - 150 litres, per head, per day - no wonder the rivers are low, and it's only going to get worse.

Mike is this 150 ltrs a day thing taken as a figure based on what is pumped from boreholes /taken from Reserviors per head or does it allow the shed load lost through leaking pipes/mains?? ,We need rain and shed loads of it

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Mike is this 150 ltrs a day thing taken as a figure based on what is pumped from boreholes /taken from Reserviors per head or does it allow the shed load lost through leaking pipes/mains?? ,We need rain and shed loads of it

Fair point, I don't know the answer. I'll ping a question to OFWAT and see what they say. Watch this space - but it may be while, I imagine OFWAT will bale out tomorrow lunchtime and won't respond to queries like that until the New Year.

Personally speaking, the water lost through leaking drains probably keeps London's trees alive which is no bad thing for all of us.

We do need rain, but it's no good having heavy rain in storms, as it will just flood and run-off and then rush through the system. We need sustained rain for many weeks.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Another question - is it domestic usage, or total (industrial + domestic) per head of population?

john clarke