Yeast protein concentrate in carp diets

Elton

The bait gurus out there may find some bits of interest in this study, especially if fishmeal prices soar:

http://www.allaboutfeed.net/news/research-...iets-12565.html

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

BUDGIE,

Brewers yeast (and in fact any one of thousands of yeasts) are really good additives. I can't say I've seen or used yeast as the primary source of protein that I can remember. Don't know why it wouldn't work though (?). Most sources of protein are just fine for carp. I'm all in for the guy.

The only problem I could forsee is the possibility of toxins. It's pretty easy for yeasts to become contaminated.

Rather than "bait" I could see this being a more successful venture as a source of protein for the "food fish" industry.

What little dab of the "fishmeal" industry we use in the bait business is a drop in the bucket. Bait guys really like the good stuff to begin with anyway (70% protein fishmeal powder).

Phone

(The second article is a "ocean food fish article")

PYM....Phillips yeast mix...........food grade...quite tasty on a salad....almost (almost) one of the basic in my home rolled baits.

Holland and Barrett sell it.

Makes a lovely paste wrap as well

Barbel love it

Carp are pretty partial to it

Quite useful if you wet a boily and then roll it in PYM and allow to dry (nod nod, wink wink)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Just a further comment...anyone heard of a guy called Fred Wilton? NO? well he started the bait/boily revolution. He based his baits on PYM. $0 years ago? " I was there" :)

High protein and all that jazz :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Just a further comment...anyone heard of a guy called Fred Wilton? NO? well he started the bait/boily revolution. He based his baits on PYM. $0 years ago? " I was there" :)

High protein and all that jazz :)

Den

I doubt many on the "serious" carp sites would have done! but I reckon a few on here will have.Its not an age thing either just that like most of society these days modern carpers dont seem interested in the history/development of the sport.

Most interesting thing thing (IMO) that Fred ever said was "Maybe,just maybe my theories are just a load of old bull and the real reason carp eat HP baits is they simply like the taste of milk proteins"!

Interesting your comments about using PYM in other ways than just part of a boilie/paste mix. I still think it rates as one of the top additives of all time and remember fondly the days when bait ingredients were sourced from pet food shops,health food shops and your local "Paki" shop!............................all strangely far cheaper than they are from today's tackle shops. Mind you how many still sell ingredients or is it just bait and the odd base mix amongst the thousands of flavourings? (and what is that about? why do shops stock shelves and shelves of flavours but no ingredients?)

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!