What brolly/bivvy

Si...

Right as my 3 bivvies have seen better days I'm after something thats lightweight, has plenty of options/combinations, quick to put up and take down for around the £200 mark.

I'm thinking of the jrc stealth brolly mk2, as I had the first one and was a brilliant bit of kit, anyone got one so that they can give their opinions on?

What would everyone recommend?

Hi Si, I am still in favour of the JRC STI brolly and wrap and can get both of them for total around £180 or less on ebay and some tackle shop.

I seen online the new STI 2RIB BROLLY which is the next generation of the existing JRC STI Brolly. I was hoping to see one in flesh over Christmas but never got around to doing it. But by judging from the clip on you tube website - it feel to me that there isn't enough overhanging the head bit area and feel to me again - that when it rain - you bound to get wet if using brolly only and not the wrap! It also feels by putting a wrap over the new 2rib brolly seem smaller than the old STI brolly but I maybe be wrong here.

Here the video clip of the new model JRC 2rib brolly

But it only recent, that I was thinking of either buying or upgrading the brolly/bivvy and I did fancy the new JRC Cocoon Bivvy and wrap but it was going to cost me around the £300 in total!

Here the video clip of the cocoon bivvy JRC Cocoon Bivvy

But didn't bother buying it and decided to upgrade the wrap - in term of an JRC Multi extending wrap for £35 - so giving me a bit of porch when storing either tackle or cooking area! I haven't had a chance to use it yet

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Thanks for the reply Andrew, but I've had 2 "pram hood" style bivvies in the past, and both have leaked in the same place, first one was a nash titan, second one was a trakker somethingorother, thats put me off that style of bivvy.

Thanks for the reply Andrew, but I've had 2 "pram hood" style bivvies in the past, and both have leaked in the same place, first one was a nash titan, second one was a trakker somethingorother, thats put me off that style of bivvy.

Si where did they leak?

I was thinking of getting the JRC X LITE bivvy for its light weight but a little nervous now...

Rich

The leaks was on the joins where the poles are, the joins are covered in tape, but due to the material being stretched when being put up and pegged down, the tape came away from the material.

I know of a few other people that have had the same problem too, its the main reason that I don't want another pram good style bivvy.

The leaks was on the joins where the poles are, the joins are covered in tape, but due to the material being stretched when being put up and pegged down, the tape came away from the material.

I know of a few other people that have had the same problem too, its the main reason that I don't want another pram good style bivvy.

Si -Fair Enough mate - no problem! ;)

I would like to say - and bear in mind that I had my brolly and wrap since when they first came out 4/5 years ago? Most of my time is on and off bivvying at Wingham from April to September. After that during the September to April - I am fishing daytime session elsewhere in the midlands so using the brolly as a shelter from the cold wind and of course when it rains! So not really complaining but it been well look after and every two years - I like to re-proof the fabric on the brolly and wrap with fabsil if possible which help to "be look after longer".

I never anyone i know of who have JRC "pram hood styles" have leaks in the seams or anywhere in the bivvy but I have heard some anglers I do know have their elastic broken or snap while putting the metal frames up putting it up under tension. (it never happen to me yet but I know my brother (budgie) had two of the elastic gone on his STI brolly. Also couple of year ago I did clean up the bivvy frames up a couple years ago and been a bit out out curiosity - i had a look to see how it could be mended and it seems to me that it is easy to repair by buying a piece of elastic cord form the local DIY will do the trick.

I haven't seen an JRC stealth brolly mk2 in flesh yet but I would imagine you get little headroom area and likely to be banging yourself against the brolly spokes when attending a run and I would also presume you get little storage space as well?

Si, there is another option - If you still got your previous bivvy and and got the time to repair them then a simple fabsil seam sealant will do the trick mate.

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Another vote for the STi. Despite Andrew kindly getting me an over wrap Ive never felt the need to use it.The brolly alone covers my bivvy needs. I very rarely bivvy up in the true Winter though anymore. Never had any leaks (unlike a lot of other "top range" bivvy/brolly systems Ive had and the snaped frame cord was easy to fix but didnt affect the performance at all realy.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I was going to suggest the Trakker A-Lite, but it's a pram-hood style bivvy very similar to the STI. Very solid, no leaks, and not too heavy to transport. I've had mine for 3 seasons now and really like it. Only 2 problems in that time, one was when I tore off one of the straps/clips that hold the overwrap door up by accidentally standing on it and then giving the wrap a big shake to help dry it (whoops!) and completely my fault, and the other is one of the tension poles has bent slightly, but is still fine to use.

The only issue I have with it is that it's impossible to keep mozzies out. There's no way to male it completely mozzie-proof because the only door is on the overwrap (the main brolly bit is open at the front) and there ware always gaps for the little sods to get through.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The only issue I have with it is that it's impossible to keep mozzies out. There's no way to male it completely mozzie-proof because the only door is on the overwrap (the main brolly bit is open at the front) and there ware always gaps for the little sods to get through.

BivvyMosiNet.jpg

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!