best oil to use on a centrepin

Guest tigger

Spindle:

To be honest, when you're fishing and your reel gets gunked up with grit, sand and groundbait it really isn't worth worrying too much about what oil you've used!

Know the feeling - a Welsh pal's comment to me after a week's float, flake and mash feed mullet-fishing last summer: "Er, Paul, is there, er, like er, metal - er, like a reel - in there...?"

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spindle:

Don't have much to add on what's already been said except to say that I also use high quality clock oil. To be honest, when you're fishing and your reel gets gunked up with grit, sand and groundbait it really isn't worth worrying too much about what oil you've used!

GT85 isn't sticky so it doesn't attract all the crap that normal oils and lubricants do. It also acts as a superb water repellent and metal polish.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

kendo:

if it works on prams,brilliant :P

I'm surprised you haven't recommended Johnson's Baby Oil! :D:D

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Guest tigger

I reckon i`m gonna get me some GT85 on my next outing near to a Halfords.Just hope there`s some left on the shelves after this thread.

Tigger.

so it's just me then that uses 15/40 engine oil

i've still got nearly a gallon left after 3 years

use, as a drop goes a long way.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

I use engine oil on my multipliers for sea fishing but I wouldn't use it on my centre pin. The whole point of using it on the multipliers is to slow the spools down, I want the pin to spin as freely as possible so I use 3 in 1 because it's much thinner.

chavender:

so it's just me then that uses 15/40 engine oil

No, one of my old Grice and Youngs which I use for legering has a slight wobble, but a drop of engine oil takes most of it out.

ColinW:

I use engine oil on my multipliers for sea fishing but I wouldn't use it on my centre pin. The whole point of using it on the multipliers is to slow the spools down

That's what the tension nut is for.

Besides, what's wrong with your thumb?

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...