Buying maggots ?

deanbmw

Is there any law to say that maggots must only be sold in a bait box? Because a tackle shop in Welshpool wouldnt serve us maggots unless we took our boxes. So was forced to buy a bait box to get some. Was told that a shop was fined for selling them in a bag, as my local tackle shops are happy sell them in the bag, was he just out to get a couple more quid out of us or is that the law.

Never test the depth of water with both feet.

Stuff work go fishing.

Don't know about any laws but I'm forever forgetting to take my boxes with me to work so that I can buy a couple of pints for the next day, and I've never had any problems buying them in plastic bags.

Paul

Downham Tackle in South London said on saturday that they are not allowed to sell maggots in plastic bags. I'm not sure whether that's a Bye Law or a Trading Standards edict. Never asked.

I will the next time that I'm in the shop.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

I believe that there are regulations that prevent tackle shops selling in bags. How rigidly this is adhered to will depend on your tackle dealers experiences with the powers that be and wether he knows you or not.

I would think because maggots are fly larvae, they have to be contained in a suitable container to prevent accidental spillage. A poly bag probably doesn't meet the criteria of suitable container. I know that pet stores have to sell bugs in sealed plastic boxes.

I've never thought to question the reason behind this but I'm sure accidental spillage or escape is the reasoning behind it.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

There is a law/regulation,that supposedly stops maggot etc. being sold loose.IE: bagged up.All the shops i've been in over the last few years stick to this.One shop prepacks maggot/worm into plastic containers to avoid it.

rondo

Oh dear - I usualy buy my maggots in a plastic bag with the air squeezed out as the last longer!!! :confused: :confused: :confused:

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Your goner stick a hook in them so whats the problem how you store them, I scald mine when after bream & tench!

just one more cast then I'am off home