ghosts, paranormal

The Flying Tench

i saw a shadowy figure at the roadside one on my bike ,turns out it was a lamper who didnt have permission and stood still hoping not to be seen ,i turned round to see his feet shoot up in the air as he tried to vault a barbed wire fence ,i shouted a bit to hurry him on ,left his lamp on the fence ,thanks mate! his dog was friendly and after smelling me took off after him a bad habit for a criminals assistant :rolleyes:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim . this story sounds very familiar. My wife & I had almost the same experience on a country road in the late afternoon one Winter it was still light. The assumed person was not white though.and appeared to be just someone we both described as a nondescript figure in an old duffle/parka type coat with a hood stood at the side of the road. Neither of us were aware of it appearing or disappearing, but we both turned round simultaneously to look for it after we passed the point and said nothing a few seconds, because we had both thought it was nothing more than someone waiting to cross the road but at some point as we passed something seemed not right I suppose and caused us to look back at the same time.

I stopped the car & there was nowhere they could have gone in that short a time had it been a person , and had I been alone I'd have ignored it and put it down to an optical illusion. Maybe it was, I don't know, but we both saw the same thing and I've travelled the road many times since and seen nowt.

I have over the years given my experience a lot of thought. I know what I saw but don't know what I saw!!!

Let me explain - there are many documented reports of folks seeing "ghosts" including the famous one that occurred in the Edinburgh cellar where a whole legion of Roman soldiers were seen to march through sunk up to their knees in the floor.

The question is what were they and what did I see. I tend to discount spirits but lean towards a glimpse of the past. Some sort of short term time warp as neither I nor the guy in that report saw any interaction or even recognition of our presence. It may be that some areas lend themselves to this more than others.

Whether there are any spirits is another matter but I never cease to be amazed at the folks that are god believers but deny the possibility of spirits.

I am an atheist and have an open mind regarding ghost spirits. Not that there is something that people see but just what it is they are seeing.

I hope that makes sense.

Jim

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"

his dog was friendly and after smelling me took off after him a bad habit for a criminals assistant :rolleyes:

Good point - the really canny old poachers had their lurchers trained never to approach them whilst "working" if a stranger was nearby. Your bloke was obviously a rank amateur!

they have to start somewhere :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

including the famous one that occurred in the Edinburgh cellar where a whole legion of Roman soldiers were seen to march through sunk up to their knees in the floor.

No one spotted the mistake there?

It was not of course Edinburgh as the Romans turned back when they got to Scotland not wanting to cross swords with folks that ate brains in sheep's intestines. :D

It was in fact York that they were seen.

Jim

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"

That story (as told by the guy who supposedly saw them) can be seen here.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

No one spotted the mistake there?

It was not of course Edinburgh as the Romans turned back when they got to Scotland not wanting to cross swords with folks that ate brains in sheep's intestines. :D

It was in fact York that they were seen.

Jim

the romans got a little further up than edinburgh ;)

That story (as told by the guy who supposedly saw them) can be seen here.

Great - Many thanks for the link.

I had not seen that on the TV. I had only read about it in a book at some time.

Jim

Well if you mean he didn't prove ghosts or the supernatural exist, no he didn't - but that's hardly surprising.

As to your friend and his predictions, lots of potential modalities for this sort of supernatural stuff have been proposed but in something like 150 years of serious looking, not a single proven specific example of the ability to predict the future has been recorded.

There have been lots of eerily accurate but non specific prophecies but they are only found to fit the facts after the event.

If your friend is for real (I'm very, very skeptical but open to the possibility) he would open up huge new areas of study and possibility and win Nobel prizes for whoever he chose to collaborate with. I would suggest that he starts recording his prophecies in great detail before the event. This will either support his claims or provide a body of evidence for his delusions that might persuade him to seek medical help.

I take your point about no scientifically proven cases.

As far as I know my friend only had 2 premonitions of accidents, and they were both unsought. She was distressed when they took place, as predicted in some detail. Because of their being unsought it would be very difficult to submit them to scientific verification.

john clarke