Illegal?

Pangolin

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was pretty certain that canals did have the same close season as rivers and that it was only lakes that were no longer restriced. The easiest way to find out however is to contact your local EA office or look at your local byelaws.

Rob.

The rules were changed during 1999 which allowed canals to open. some exceptions where it is an SSSI. However, some rivers look like canals but are classed as rivers and are closed. If in doubt about your streach then check.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

It's legal on most sections of many canals, often excluding sections where rivers flow in, and out. Check your Regional EA and club waters rules. There's no Closed Season on many lakes and pits and so I guess EA/DEFRA are classing canals in the same category, even though there is a net flow of water.

I fished the GU canal yesterday (bootiful weather, bootiful perch) ... and judging by the shoals and shoals of fry, many species have already spawned

DG

Peter Waller:

To quote John Wilson from his excellent book 'The Definitive Guide On Where To Fish in Norfolk And Suffolk':-

'Personally I think the worse thing we ever did was abolishing the old close season.'

It's a subject that has been debated to death on AN and I don't suppose opposing opinions are any closer at this time. Personally I hope those responsible are less than proud of what they did

:( .

As one of those who supported the relaxation of the close season regulations at 'official' level, I have no shame whatsoever. Peter - it's called freedom to chose.

There is little, if any, scientific justification to insist on a three-month statutory closure of all angling on enclosed coarse fisheries. A riparian owner is free to chose whether he (or she) opens or not, and for how long. Unless fish are more vulnerable to capture/damage when spawning, a fish that dies in January prevents the birth of just as many fish that would be born in June had that fish died in May.

This is NOT the case with rivers, because of (i) differential ownership of opposite banks (often the case), and (ii) spawning aggregations of fish which migrate upstream to discrete areas where they are liable to over-exploitation by anglers.

But a three-month close season on rivers should apply to all water users - canoeists, sailors, pleasure-boat enthusiasts et al. Or is it just anglers who are able to disturb spawning fish?

Whizzo is correct on many matters... but not this one, IMPO.

Bruno

www.bruno-broughton.co.uk

'He who laughs, lasts'

Do many of the UK species create and guard a bed/nest? That's the only time I can see that disturbing a fish during spawning time would cause a problem.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President