Okuma Multipliers and Baitcasters

Rob Ward

Well I was just logging out and saw your post Rob! I have one myself and at first was a BIT disappointed with it. However after some finer tuning I have to say I am quite happy now! Will have to look at the model for you as well!! BUT it is a mono frame with blue side plates and the other is a NEW one last year so not sure of that either!! But SO many reels and NO time to use them!

But would certainly recommend them at the price!! UNLESS you can get a second hand ABU 5000 for the same price!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Rob, I use them and must say that they are a Good Value for the money! I have 1 Shimano that is my Heavy Duty and 3 Penns, but use these as my everyday Saltwater equipment. Most of my fishing is Jigging or trolling with them so casting is not required, but the models that I do have Cast Very Well!!!!!! They do make Great products at a Great PRICE! JMHO!!!!!

HOPPY4

Does anyone have any experience with the above, can you recommend or rubbish them?

HOPPY

Rob I can do you a second hand,refurbished Ambassadeur for that sort of price.Got 5000,5500,6000,6500 sizes available but all left hand wind if your interested.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

At the minute I'm looking for a small baitcaster so I'd be looking for a 4500 in an Ambassadeur. It's only really for occasional use for a bit of lure fishing on the canal, the reel at the bottom of the page above looks attractive for £26.99 but if it's a complete dog I'll steer clear!

Come the Pike Season and I'll be looking for a reel to match the Jerkbait Rod I've got though, at which point I'll give you a shout for a 6500!

Speaking of Piking I'll PM you about something else.....

At the minute I'm looking for a small baitcaster so I'd be looking for a 4500 in an Ambassadeur. It's only really for occasional use for a bit of lure fishing on the canal, the reel at the bottom of the page above looks attractive for £26.99 but if it's a complete dog I'll steer clear!

Come the Pike Season and I'll be looking for a reel to match the Jerkbait Rod I've got though, at which point I'll give you a shout for a 6500!

Speaking of Piking I'll PM you about something else.....

No problem mate.I always have left handed pike size ABU's in dont normally bother getting the smaller ones unless some one specifically asks for them.

In the smaller sizes though I would definately look at some of the US manufacturers.Some great reels at unbelievable prices.When I was with Newt last year I thought I would buy a cheap Bass lure rod for my stay rather than taking one of my pike ones.Whilst looking around Newt pointed out a complete outfit of rod and reel for around $50! The low profile,Quantum reel had magnetic braking and a "flipping" bar and to be honest I couldnt fault it.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• 1 month later...

I know this is a late reply but have a look at the Glasgow Angling Centre. Okuma Induron baitcasting reels are on special at £30.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.