British coarse fish as pets

cannibalspinners

You will struggle to keep the water temp within the preferred range - a modern house is just too warm.

That's an interesting comment Mat.My tanks were allways kept out side in my workshop.In this I had an electric fan heater on all the time.It was controlled by a thermostat and I kept it set just high enough to stop anything getting damp.I had some carp that I kept (they were only a few inches long and stunted) for over 5 years.They were very much left to their own devices!

My ex wife decided they would look nice it the house (I had a selection of perfect miniature,variations ie common,fully scaled,linear,leather etc) withing a few weeks of being "nurtured" in the posh octagonal tank in the living room they er died!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I kept perch in a fish tank i had repaired in the garage. i caught them with a landing net while fishing and took them home to show my small children they lived there for a year until i had to release them due to there greedyness for all my worms lol.

The tank wasnt heated at all but had a good supply of cover and light and they seemed to grow really quickly

Perch are better out doors in pond or garage.

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

Perch are better out doors in pond or garage.

I keep dozens of fish in my garage too!

...my aquarium is 4' long and made by Electrolux B)

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Predators vary a lot.The main problem Ive found with them is getting the feeding right and indeed the type of food.Catfish are easy and will eat anything but perch and pike can be tricky.Ive also found perch to be quite delicate and seem to be more sensitive to water quality. Pike vary enormously! Ive had some that have barely lasted a few days and others that have lived for over 5 years (might have lived longer but I returned them).Seems to vary from year class to year class as well as from water to water.I dont know why some seem stronger/find it easier to adapt than others.Maybe the true experts on the fish keeping will be able to offer up a reason?

I think I've mentioned before that I had a colleague who wanted to do some research on growth of 0-group perch and pike. I gave him a hand with some seine netting, because he hadn't done it before, on a little bay on Windermere. He caught the perch and pike that he wanted - I half-inched one roach and one pike, both young of the year, which I kept in tanks for years afterwards. Anyway, he had real problems with the perch - skittish, wouldn't feed well, spooked by people walking past the tanks, etc. Someone told him that was normal for Windermere and got him some little perch from one of the other labs. Yorkshire Ouse fish, I think. They were totally different, no problem keeping them at all. Weird, isn't it?

I've had goldfish before, and seeing videos like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYelxMUkmMg makes me tempted as it would be fascinating to watch them feeding, but it's a lot of effort and fairly expensive if you haven't already got the gear. A large tank, gravel and aerator will probably be £50 before any other costs.

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

I've had goldfish before, and seeing videos like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYelxMUkmMg makes me tempted as it would be fascinating to watch them feeding, but it's a lot of effort and fairly expensive if you haven't already got the gear. A large tank, gravel and aerator will probably be £50 before any other costs.

Would hate to think what the food bill for feeding those Perch would be :o

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Would hate to think what the food bill for feeding those Perch would be :o

Expensive i would think

i once kept minnows in a tropical fish tank

with heaters years ago

they lived for about 2 years or more

grew large ( for a minnow )

they also got used to the hand that feeds them

they would take dried worms from my hand

150_brown_trout1.jpg RECORD RIVER CAUGHT BROWN TROUT 7LB 5OZ

http://www.spinningluresuk.com

Expensive i would think

i once kept minnows in a tropical fish tank

with heaters years ago

they lived for about 2 years or more

grew large ( for a minnow )

they also got used to the hand that feeds them

they would take dried worms from my hand

Last year i was at Deep sea world in Blackpool

I cant remember if they had any freshwater fish

Can any of you guys Help me find an answer to that

I know they had plenty saltwater fish lol

150_brown_trout1.jpg RECORD RIVER CAUGHT BROWN TROUT 7LB 5OZ

http://www.spinningluresuk.com

Kept Roach, Rudd, Gudgeon, Tench and Perch.

I actaully bred the Perch. Fed them on livebearers mainly. 4' tank, very dense hornwort at each end and a curtain of the stuff down the middle. Left the Tench alone. Roach got finrot, 0 ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, so I suspect stress from the Perch. A singular Rudd survived and a ballsy little Gudgeon that used to drive the Perch batshit.

4 Perch got over 1lb and were then released where I got them from. Gudgeon went to my Nans pond with the Rudd. Never saw the Gonk again but the Rudd is still alive and kicking. 12 years since he was caught! Must be getting on for about 2lb now :)

Condensation and cooling is a pita!

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue