lure fishing on a canal

butiaboy

I want to lure fish my local stretch of chesterfield canal

Venue%201.jpg

targeting the Chub and Perch what type of basic tackle will i need?

my favourite fishing spot

2008_0801craig0051.jpg

chesterfield canal chesterfield

Do you want gear specifically for lure fishing and canal fishing where you do not expect largish pike?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Do you want gear specifically for lure fishing and canal fishing where you do not expect largish pike?

yes there are no pike in this canal

my favourite fishing spot

2008_0801craig0051.jpg

chesterfield canal chesterfield

yes there are no pike in this canal

how do you know this. better to play it safe and stick a light trace on. you will still catch perch i guarantee.

ive found my local canal perch go for brightly colored spinners but never had them interested in any lures like shads or the sorts

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

I can't help with gear you could source locally but if no one comes up with any bright ideas, here are some ideas if you want to purchase from the US. Not expensive (I've stayed with 2 piece rods since shipping them broken down is much less expensive). Just bear in mind that if you spend over $36, it will exceed the £18 limit for duty & VAT so if the nice customs folks are interested you could wind up paying about 30% additional in those fees.

Ugly Stik Lite rods

Ugly Stik Rods

Inline Spinner Baits (think Mepps)

Other Spinner Baits

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

First off, it has to be said that trying to target chub on lures from a murkey stillwater is setting yourself a very difficult task. They will happily take lures in shallow moving water though, so go find a river and have some fun.

Perch are a better target but it really depends on the conditions. Boat traffic makes my local canals very murkey in the summer so I limit my lure fishing to the cooler months when there is less traffic and I can get out and about before the first boats.

There are basically two tactics that work for me:

Ultralight spinning with a little 5 foot rod, tiny reel and 6lb fireline. I use a selection of tiny plugs and small (sized 0 and 1) spinners and cast across the pounds where small fish action can be great fun.

Sideplaner trolling with a 7' baitcasting rod and a multiplier reel. I use 30lb braid on the reel and troll a bigger size 2 or 3 spinner behind a home made planer.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I see their are Two Supermarkets close by so be prepared to lose a lot of lures unless you go heavy on the braid as your canal is probably littered with loads of shopping trolleys.

I dont even bother lure fishing any more where I am as it seemed a bit unsportly hauling in Jacks on 50lb braid