another silly pin price

Alan Roe

Clearly somebody else determined to prove the old adage of there being one born every minute!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...3#ht_500wt_1202

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

he will i guess ,(no not from me ,two reels is all i'll need for change of line etc) but there are people who pay that much ,if someone is willing too pay £145 for a standard speedia

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Rare-Wid...3#ht_1042wt_195

or this repainted one ,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-w-r-spee...=item256b7d600e

a quick bloodrush too the head and you own a expensive reel ,people will spend silly money .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

well being comparable too a lythe ,i guess £400 for one ,without the need for a 3 year wait isn't so bad ,if anyone is interested get in there quick before its gone .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender

he will i guess ,(no not from me ,two reels is all i'll need for change of line etc) but there are people who pay that much ,if someone is willing too pay £145 for a standard speedia

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Rare-Wid...3#ht_1042wt_195

or this repainted one ,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-w-r-spee...=item256b7d600e

a quick bloodrush too the head and you own a expensive reel ,people will spend silly money .

Hi Chavender :)

NOT having a 'go' at you in any way shape or form - I mostly agree with your sentiments about the reels in question, but I'm genuinely curious t0 know what makes you believe that the reel has been repainted, particularly when the seller says not? ... I'm wondering whether you spotted something I have not (didn't bid, I hasten to add!), or is it just simple speculation / suspicion?

Part of the reason I ask is that although I've never met this guy, I HAVE bought reels from him in the past, both on and off Ebay, and things have always been 100% legit, and as described, and on occasion he's gone well out of his way to offer assistance on a couple of things.

It's obviously been re-painted and has a brass foot fitted also (the second one that is). You can see the brush strokes on the inside backplate. It's easy to spot a reel that's been restored, they never look exactly like origional and that one's far from origional. I bet that sellers made up with the price he got !!

It's obviously been re-painted and has a brass foot fitted also (the second one that is). You can see the brush strokes on the inside backplate. It's easy to spot a reel that's been restored, they never look exactly like origional and that one's far from origional. I bet that sellers made up with the price he got !!

i'm not saying the guy selling it painted it ,he clearly say thats the condition its come to him

this reel has come to me in a very large collection that has come my way, i dont know if it has been restored or not

apart from the brush strokes under the ratchet lever on the backplate theres the spiral strokes on the underside of the spool around the cog (both hard places to spray paint with out totally dismantling the reel) ,plus on the front plate you can just see the old paint under the new ,and on the side shot you can see a paint bulge (a thick edge) ,now the casting on the speedia isnt great on the rims edges with styrations accross the rim but not normally along its edge ,but the biggest pointer is the fact the paint is too glossy and smooth ,all speedias origanal paint jobs was more of a matt finish and the spools front plate had texture in the centre due too being cast then machined .but that said it is a very good paint job

one for trigger ,the early speedia's had the brass foot ,but it was painted over to match the body ,so if it was a origanal finish the foot would also be black

heres one i referbed ,it was a complete mess when i got it and now its a great little reel ,its 90% finished ,i'm considering wether too paint it or leave it stripped & polished

DSCF2058.jpg

these early models are my favourite ones ,

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender

Thanks guys - your time in replying is appreciated! :D

Sharp eyes ... must do well with long trotting? :D

Have to confess to having more pins than any sane man can use or justify, but if I'm honest I tend to buy newer, quality reels if they appear on the market at the right price, rather than the older models.

That said, I've a couple of original Match reels, one of which is new and unused, ditto the Speedia's: again, a new boxed one and the other (that I use) courtesy of my dear old dad :D

I've sort of convinced myself that it's OK to buy more: I have 'users' and others that are simply an investment for my little lad. I KNOW it's almost sacreligious to admit, but Witchers etc do bugger-all for me aesthetically, but make a superb investment if I can buy well, on a couple of occasions for far less than I'd pay for a new Lythe!

The 'users' vary greatly: I was very lucky to get my hands on TWO Revolvers, unused, at a tackle shop in Krakow, of all places, about 2 years ago - The guy was very keen to get his hands on Euro's or £££'s rather than zloty for whatever reason: he was the owner of an established tackle shop, still trading there today, so I had no issues at all about a dodgy deal etc - they came straight out of the reel cabinet in the shop, and I got them BOTH for the equivalent of just 700zl - excahnge rate at that time was s bit less than 5 to the £GB, so £140 / £150 quid, give or take. B)

It's absolutely correct what people say about these reels - they ARE very, very nice (assuming that you can live with the Browning livery :D ) ... but I would not pay £400 for one,even if it is number 3!

I also use a couple of their Rotators, various Kingpins, a tiny black Stanton, Youngs and Okumas ... total tackle tart, I know, but the prices I buy at mean I'll never lose money - I think I even bought a pin from Alan, the instigator of this topic, no more than a few weeks ago.courtesy of Ebay! :D ... and NO, I cannot Wallis cast, though in fairness, I've never tried! :D

Here's the rub though ... 'favourite' reels? A couple that were handmade in Poland, and a MAHOOSIVE 'Rolls Royce' special that could probably stop the forward motion of a respectable barge! .... bought at different times / places for the sum total of just £72!

theres always a excuse to buy another centrepin ,the trick as you say is too buy wisley ,sometimes centrepins are like buses .you miss one (too high a mark up etc ) then three come along .theres always other chances down the line .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender