Stinking landing net

fruitloopy

There's a couple of questions here:

1. I have a 32" oval shape landing net which when not in use barely fits in a black bin bag. I would really like to put this in a proper sealable bag which stops it stinking out my car. Any suggestions?

2. How do you clean landing nets and should you clean them? I assume you should to prevent disease, etc. And also 'cos it bloody stinks!

Thanks.

Edit:

I should mention that it doesnt fold up

Edited by fruitloopy

when not in use barely fits in a black bin bag.

I reckon thats your first mistake! You want it to dry out properly so don't store it in a plastic bag!

I had a similar problem recently and I washed my net in the bath with soapy water with a little bleach. It seemed to work but it took ages to rinse (wanted to sure all the bleach was out).

If there is an easier way I'd like to know!

Rich

I bought a TFG 32in net with 'stink bag' from tackle bargains recently...

See:

http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/acatalog/G...nding_Nets.html

(scroll down)

Bag is ventilated so the net dries out in it. Only complaint is that the bag is a bit 'snug' - tricky to zip up without the net catching in the zip - stops the car from smelling though!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Bit of a problem this, I used to use a laundry bag (got from a launderette) Most times the net has to be taken home wet, so keeping it in the bag helps to stop the stink.

Try leaving the net in the water for a while before packing up, and spend a few minutes swishing it about in the water. This will get rid of a lot of the slime/smell.

Best bet is to wash it in the lake/river and prop it up to dry.

My van stinks :) :) (but I love it :) )

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I dont mind the stink either and it is usually dry by the time it gets in the car. The problem is that I leave it in the car and I had to give someone a lift yesterday. It was quite embarrassing but at least they wont ask for a lift again!

The landing net is the 32" specimen from Fox HERE

Maybe I will go to QD or similar later and see what they have.

I too have used a laundry bag (available in many £ shops).

However these days I just peg my nets out on the line. I think the smell is at least partly caused by bacteria. A day exposed to ultra-violet light (even when it's not sunny) soon kills these off together with the smell.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I should mention that it doesnt fold up

I've gone back to triangular nets after years of hassle off circular ones. Wanting to go fishing on my motorbike was the initial reason, but now I have I just don't know why I put up with circular frames for so long, especially since I hardly ever take a keepnet any more.

I've never washed a net. Hang it up on the washing line to get it bone dry and that (and the UV off the sunlight) will kill any bugs.

what you need is one of those eva bags thatas totally water and stink proof ,dragoncarp do a couple ,these are ment for commercial keepnets ,size maybe a problem ?

Dri-Zone" 1-2 Net Standard Waterproof EVA Wet Bag ,1 to 2 Keep Net capacity - Size : 24H x 25W x 5D in. Price: £14.99

m_AV540.jpg

"Dri-Zone" 3-4 Net Standard Waterproof EVA Wet Bag ,handles 2 to 3 Keep Net capacity - Size : 24H x 25W x 8D in. Price: £19.99

m_AV541.jpg

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

I've gone back to triangular nets after years of hassle off circular ones. Wanting to go fishing on my motorbike was the initial reason, but now I have I just don't know why I put up with circular frames for so long, especially since I hardly ever take a keepnet any more.

I've never washed a net. Hang it up on the washing line to get it bone dry and that (and the UV off the sunlight) will kill any bugs.

Another vote I see for the washing line.

I can see why Colin has gone back to triangular nets, but I much prefer spoon-shaped ones myself. They're quicker to put up and pack away, don't have a draw cord that makes it harder to lift the fish over if almost out of reach, plus they're easier to push weeds down with.

The downside of course is that the vast majority don't fold away, which is very important for those like Colin in particular.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

The best thing to do that I've found (as has been mentioned already) is to give the net a good, vigorous wash and rinse in the lake to get rid of any slime etc. and then leave it to dry in the sun/wind. I do this (together with weigh sling and unhooking mat) a couple of hours before the end of each session so it's all ready for the car. If I have to use them again before packing up, I just hang them in the shed to dry. Once dry (as long as you've got rid of the slime etc.) they don't smell.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music