Swann pushes for ‘catch and release’ angling policy

Elton

What part of an individual’s right do you not understand you freshwater boys are over run with rules and regulation this to you would just be another. If it is that serious then have a closed season end of argument

The rivers you mention that have C&R established will also have many other of your beloved regulations of that I'm sure, seems to me fishing to a rule book must have some sort of appeal and you’re welcome to it. It’s not for me I’m afraid and any hint it may come down on us like the Eel ban then look out for a battle.

Ehhhhh, they do, have done for years.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob, for over 20 years when I lived in Scotland my best mate was a ghillie on the river Dee. He often invited me to fish with him on the river and through him I got to know many other river Dee ghillies and keepers and got invited to fish their beats. As a result I spent many hours in the company of these professionals, fishing and in the fishing huts and not surprisingly the thing we talked about was the numbers of fish being caught and the reasons why.Now all of these professional river keepers, their bosses the owners and the other guests believed that C&R had a beneficial effect on the number of salmon returning to the river, along with other steps such as the buy out of commercial netting operations at the estuary.

You on the other hand don't fish for salmon, have never fished for salmon, have no interest in fishing for salmon and know nothing about fishing for salmon, salmon rivers in general, Scottish salmon rivers in particular and especially the river Dee and yet you feel perfectly qualified to state that I and all these other people don't know anything, that C&R doesn't work, that we lack the common sense to see that and that we are only fooling ourselves to make us feel better.

You didn't even know the original article referred to salmon because you couldn't be bothered to read it properly.

I think I will stand by my statement ;)

Now you’re being presumptuous Sportsman, as it happens I spent a good deal of my youth fishing the Itchen and Test for Salmon and Trout and while the legislation introduced since those far off days of my youth most of which admittedly I’m not clued up on and many of the regulations will differ to those in Scotland and probably Ireland too.

The point you seem to miss is I base MY view on if ‘catch and release’ on its own has any credibility. There are no stat’s to show how effective the practice is, nor is there any indication of what damage or stress is caused to the fish and whether or not that affects the ability of the fish to spawn.

When I first read the article it was the regulation that jumped off the page at me and my thought were two fold one a repeat of the Eel fiasco and the other that this is very type of regulation that lead to the catch and kill regulations in Germany and Switzerland. The Green Lobby see C&R as cruel for much the same reasons as those highlighted above and will push an agenda with just as little fact to back their cause as is the case with your argument.

As Seafoods has just pointed out

Ehhhhh, they do, have done for years.

…… there is indeed a closed session that then begs the question as to what is the point of this regulation.

For the record those who make and pass these regulations will probably be even less clued up on FWA as me, yet all too often we hear how single species fishermen seek regulations that will later impact on others for whom they have no concern and for that reasion I make no apology for stating my views.

Publication2_zpsthmtka6c.jpg

The point you seem to miss is I base MY view on if ‘catch and release’ on its own has any credibility. There are no stat’s to show how effective the practice is,

All you have to do is look

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/1063/0077449.pdf

Quote:

"When performed correctly, catch and release can be very successful, resulting in minimal

harm to the fish, and successfully spawning. This is not really surprising as salmon are highly

adapted to cope with periods of exhaustive exercise and stress, during their gruelling

spawning migrations. Research has shown spawning success and the viability of eggs are

unaffected in salmon caught and released in late autumn"

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

All you have to do is look

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/1063/0077449.pdf

Quote:

"When performed correctly, catch and release can be very successful, resulting in minimal

harm to the fish, and successfully spawning. This is not really surprising as salmon are highly

adapted to cope with periods of exhaustive exercise and stress, during their gruelling

spawning migrations. Research has shown spawning success and the viability of eggs are

That’s your evidence ‘Scotland 25 fish C&R 84% of which spawned successfully.’ (Webb, 1998) Now what was it we have heard from the likes of Mr Luxton re the Eel and doggie data?

Taking a miniscule sample like this and putting it into a model is so typically scientist then they take the results required to give credibility to the proposals.

Sorry if I’m not convinced by this 30 year study and all but hay-hoe carry on chaps I’ll hopefully be around to say I told you so when Catch and Kill arrives.

That’s your evidence ‘Scotland 25 fish C&R 84% of which spawned successfully.’ (Webb, 1998) Now what was it we have heard from the likes of Mr Luxton re the Eel and doggie data?

Taking a miniscule sample like this and putting it into a model is so typically scientist then they take the results required to give credibility to the proposals.

Sorry if I’m not convinced by this 30 year study and all but hay-hoe carry on chaps I’ll hopefully be around to say I told you so when Catch and Kill arrives.

Bob, another good way of ignoring things is to put your fingers in your ears and go LAH LAH LAH very loudly ;)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Quote:

I see those facts were ignored, rubbished by the expert sea angling rep. As for fish stress, don't even think of mentioning the sight of beat up salmon who have managed to eventually reach the shallows with the only thing on it's mind is to drop 'em. That will be discounted.Even makes his mucus membrane argument look sick. Nothing backing up the clowns and despair comment yet apart from smoke, mirror and deflection. Bet the expert doesn't have an argument for billy the bass either, that one was pulled up and sent back six times at least.

Ignore the eel and doggie data at the mo, more smoke and mirror.Wouldn't mind a new topic, get the trust to enter into that one with a history lesson. I'll be up for that. B)

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

I see those facts were ignored, rubbished by the expert sea angling rep. As for fish stress, don't even think of mentioning the sight of beat up salmon who have managed to eventually reach the shallows with the only thing on it's mind is to drop 'em. That will be discounted.Even makes his mucus membrane argument look sick. Nothing backing up the clowns and despair comment yet apart from smoke, mirror and deflection. Bet the expert doesn't have an argument for billy the bass either, that one was pulled up and sent back six times at least.

Ignore the eel and doggie data at the mo, more smoke and mirror.Wouldn't mind a new topic, get the trust to enter into that one with a history lesson. I'll be up for that. B)

Sounds like the word of righteousness being handed down by the friend of the profit Jehovah if you ask me, funny how folk can jump from one view to another when it suits. Living in Kent and jumping on a charter boat five or six times a year makes you a proper expert does it?

As for ignoring facts what are we talking about here ‘Research has shown spawning success and the viability of eggs are unaffected in salmon caught and released in late autumn" would that be the 21 of 25 C&R that survived the test case way back in 1998?

Never mind the fingers in ears Sportsman just remember I respect your view I just disagree with it.

Sounds like the word of righteousness being handed down by the friend of the profit Jehovah if you ask me, funny how folk can jump from one view to another when it suits. Living in Kent and jumping on a charter boat five or six times a year makes you a proper expert does it?

Someone kindley gave me this, i'll put this here as i think this is the best most accurate way to describe what you stand for. You know nothing, as ever full of assumption and inaccuracy, swerving. Can you not add up for example, how do you make it 5-6? i have 12 trips booked anually with one boat at the top end of the channel for the last 30 odd years, thats without any others. Go back on holiday and reflect what you are doing for the rsa, it ain't pretty thats for sure.

images.jpg

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Someone kindley gave me this, i'll put this here as i think this is the best most accurate way to describe what you stand for. You know nothing, as ever full of assumption and inaccuracy, swerving. Can you not add up for example, how do you make it 5-6? i have 12 trips booked anually with one boat at the top end of the channel for the last 30 odd years, thats without any others. Go back on holiday and reflect what you are doing for the rsa, it ain't pretty thats for sure.

I know nothing, yeah right having being involved in once a month trips for some 45 years I know how many you average per annum mate.

As for this ‘Go back on holiday and reflect what you are doing for the rsa, it ain't pretty that’s for sure.’ Funny just a few post back you said ‘no evidence that he has actually fixed anything or is he in a position to do so, any more than an individual angler.’ If that is the case why are you making such a fuss about me?

While my holiday has been spoilt by having the Flu it has enabled me to further realise you have a problem Barry and that saddens me. Yes it in nice to be talked about critically or otherwise but to see someone sell their soul as you have and befriend those you had no time for not so long ago is quite alarming. While I'm just about over the Flu I think you seriously need to seek help.

ohh stopit, your dribbling again.

When you have something decent and crdible to say without doing it behind me back i'll address you, apart from that go away and get your head sorted. I won't bother replying to anymore of your pointless dirge. You are now becoming an irrelevance with regards to the damage you have done alianating the rsa, now you are here winding up others, nothing changes with you, you just don't learn.

good afternoon.

Edited by barry luxton