Fishing in North London

BoozleBear

Took a trip to Walthamstow Res today.

The entrance on the north side of Ferry Road and on the pub's east side was locked so there was no way of getting up there. From the pub garden I couldn't see much the stream is choked with weed and lilies ?

I spoke briefly to one of the Thames Water blokes and he said they'd turned off the flow to undertake some repair work, but the best fishing to be had was the bit where the flow came in from Low Maynrad Reservoir. (The bit I sadly couldn't get to)

Walthamstow Res seemed a nice place, shame everyone there was fishing for Carp and had no idea if there was anything else in there.

So did you not fish at all? Even if you couldn't have fished the stream you must have crossed the Lea to get there!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So did you not fish at all? Even if you couldn't have fished the stream you must have crossed the Lea to get there!

No it was a spur of the moment reccy. I took the other half, a picnic and made a day out of it.

Yes I took at look at the Lea and the little brook that runs alongside Coppermil stream and then joins the Lea.

Tony

• 4 weeks later...

This thread is really useful!

I'm a little bit of an all rounder though my favourite methods are fly-fishing and light spinning, mostly for Trout, Chub, Perch, Dace and Pike. Though I don't spin for Dace! And so far, I don't fly fish for Pike, this is something I'm keen to try though.

I live in Finchley so I have to travel around a bit, usually fish places like the Regent's Canal and the Wandle, quite like the sound of the Lea and it's navigation channel, Coppermill Stream etc. I'm just wondering whether it would be possible to sight fish there and if there'd be enough room to cast a fly or whether I'd be best off with just the light spinning gear. I suppose I should do a reconnaissance myself, sounds good though from what I've read so far.

This thread is really useful!

I'm a little bit of an all rounder though my favourite methods are fly-fishing and light spinning, mostly for Trout, Chub, Perch, Dace and Pike. Though I don't spin for Dace! And so far, I don't fly fish for Pike, this is something I'm keen to try though.

I live in Finchley so I have to travel around a bit, usually fish places like the Regent's Canal and the Wandle, quite like the sound of the Lea and it's navigation channel, Coppermill Stream etc. I'm just wondering whether it would be possible to sight fish there and if there'd be enough room to cast a fly or whether I'd be best off with just the light spinning gear. I suppose I should do a reconnaissance myself, sounds good though from what I've read so far.

Hi Charley

As far as I am aware there is a fly only trout lake in Walthamstow the one opposite the main entrance. Do you flyfish on the Regents as I have been thinking of giving it a go myself but wouldnt know where to start.

Dave

It'd be difficult to fly fish the navigational canal as the towpath is so busy with walkers, cyclists etc that you would have to be very careful. Also there are bushes, trees, fences etc next to the towpath. There would be some spots where you might be able to use a fly but in my opinion you'd be far better with light spinning gear.

One (possibly two) of the trout lakes in the resevoir is fly only.

Thanks guys,

I had a look at the trout reservoirs, the trouble is the day ticket waters are kill what you catch with a minimum of 4 fish, I'm not sure quite what I'd do with 4 trout but I doubt I'd be able to eat them all! Plus, to be honest, I prefer catch and release, even for trout. So the Norton Trout Fishery looks a better bet for that, and cheaper without being too much further.

What I was really keen on was expanding my fly-fishing repertoire, the River Wandle is an excellent spot, a chalkstream in London and with plenty of Chub, Dace and even wild Brownies. It is more of a Spring/Summer location though and Colliers Wood is a long way to go from Finchley Central on a short Winter day.

When I fish Regent's I use light spinning gear, I've only fished there for a year but I've not seen a single Pike. All I catch is Perch and not of much size but still good fun, the biggest I've had from there was about 1lb and I was surprised to find one that size.

I've not fished on Hampstead Heath as I couldn't find out what species are actually in the ponds. Though again I would guess that light spinning gear would be the most suitable. What I really wanted to do was get some of the traditional Winter fish on the fly, Chub and Pike mainly. After 1st November its Rainbows only for trout fishing and their usually so deep and torpid it becomes a bit 'chuck and chance', in my experience anyway.

If anybody is interested in exploring the fly-fishing for Pike idea I'd be very happy to team up, perhaps discuss tactics over a pint? :D I can see that finding a suitable venue close to London might be tricky, I do have a car so I can travel a bit. I'm wondering whether the Coarse reservoirs on the Walthamstow complex might be worth a shot?

Thanks guys,

I had a look at the trout reservoirs, the trouble is the day ticket waters are kill what you catch with a minimum of 4 fish, I'm not sure quite what I'd do with 4 trout but I doubt I'd be able to eat them all! Plus, to be honest, I prefer catch and release, even for trout. So the Norton Trout Fishery looks a better bet for that, and cheaper without being too much further.

What I was really keen on was expanding my fly-fishing repertoire, the River Wandle is an excellent spot, a chalkstream in London and with plenty of Chub, Dace and even wild Brownies. It is more of a Spring/Summer location though and Colliers Wood is a long way to go from Finchley Central on a short Winter day.

When I fish Regent's I use light spinning gear, I've only fished there for a year but I've not seen a single Pike. All I catch is Perch and not of much size but still good fun, the biggest I've had from there was about 1lb and I was surprised to find one that size.

I've not fished on Hampstead Heath as I couldn't find out what species are actually in the ponds. Though again I would guess that light spinning gear would be the most suitable. What I really wanted to do was get some of the traditional Winter fish on the fly, Chub and Pike mainly. After 1st November its Rainbows only for trout fishing and their usually so deep and torpid it becomes a bit 'chuck and chance', in my experience anyway.

If anybody is interested in exploring the fly-fishing for Pike idea I'd be very happy to team up, perhaps discuss tactics over a pint? :D I can see that finding a suitable venue close to London might be tricky, I do have a car so I can travel a bit. I'm wondering whether the Coarse reservoirs on the Walthamstow complex might be worth a shot?

If you don't mind getting out of London Rib valley fishing lakes has a good reputation for fly fishing, but they still insist on one fish being killed.

There is also part of the river lea that would be a good spot to try pike on the fly, I use lures and have had good results with pike and perch there.

When you reach enough posts and are able to use PM's I'll tell you a bit more.

Andy.