Canals at this time of year

TrevBoy

With the weather slowly warming up, but with cold nights now and then, what's the situation with canals? Are they likely to be hard work or worth a go? I dont have a lot of time right now so would like to think a cpl of hours might get me a few silvers. I just don't wanna waste such a short period of fishing time!

I am thinking about the canal in Beeston, Nottingham, which is deep as it is navigable.

Guidance as to tactics greatly received!

Thanks.

Edited by TrevBoy

Well I'm no expert, but to start the ball rolling my experience is that they are hard and remain hard till at least the end of April! Better to go to running water while you can, ie to the end of the season.

Mind you I acknowledge that part of the problem is that it's hard finding the fish as they shoal up, and anglers that know the water well may still catch.

john clarke

I am lucky in that I have several good Canals to choose from for my fishing. Worksop, Fossedyke, Millgate and Nottingham Canal at the Nott's County Ground or where it turns near the roundabout.

At the back end of Winter Canals in my area can be hard going but I have a method of feeding that has nearly always proved very successful.

Float fishing is best just off bottom or just over depth by 2 inches.

Start by setting up and not fishing for an hour.

In that hour work out where you want to be and imagine you're fishing in a box. Start feeding at the four corners of your imaginary box regularly with say a dozen maggots at each corner every 5 minutes. Gradually increase bait quantities to about 3 dozen and feed the corners every 10 minutes.

After the hour put out your float to the middle of your imaginary box and reduce feed quantities to say half a dozen every 5 minutes to the corners. The fish should be in a competitive mood and readily come for your bait.

Tight Lines.