Filtration ideas

Newt

Just wondered what you have, what works well, and what you would never do if you had it to do over again.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

We looked at verious (expensive) ready-made filter systems, then decided to build our own from two header tanks. The water from the pump goes into the top (settlement) tank which is loaded with plastic strips - exactly like the stuff you fasten heavy packages up with. The water then goes (by gravity) into the bottom tank where it goes through three foam filters of varying grades before passing through a layer of pea-gravel and then back to the pond.

We've never needed ultra-violet gizmos' to take out any single-celled algae, we just have lots of plants in the pond to keep the algal blooms down

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

John S - could you possibly draw a picture of how you have things set up? Sounds like a great solution.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I have a very powerful pump that takes all the water up to one of those filter box things. It then goes past a UV, through three layers of different foam and onto some rock stuff.

I have to clean it fairly frequently, though, as the pond is under a big tree and I prefer not to net it. It is alive with larvaae of some sort when I do - the fish must be really well fed!

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Bradford Angler:

do you have carp in this plant filled pond ??

Yes we do.... Several koi carp up to approx 2lb, the mirror carp is I guess about 3lb, and the golden orfe (5) are about 1lb each. As for the plants, we have the normal oxygenating weed (which also feeds our compost bin), several water lilies and various marginal plants including bullrushes, freshwater mint (edible) and several ornamantal grasses.

I should have added that we also have a wildlife pond for newts (the amphibian, not our colonial moderator ) and frogs, though the latter seem to prefer the main pond instead :rolleyes:

[ 03. January 2003, 03:09 AM: Message edited by: John S ]

John S

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Newt, I will do a diagram and post it during the weekend :)

[ 03. January 2003, 03:15 AM: Message edited by: John S ]

John S

John S

I have plants in mine too for a couple of seconds then the carp tear them to pieces, only thing I can seem to grow with any success is the white large lillies (but they are well covered in stones, not pebbles ! at the root end) and my carp are not as big as yours

what depth do the general plant grow at ??

the other thing I get to grow is water millfoil (parrot weed ?) on my water fall cascade, it looks lovely when it grows out of control (lengths around 8 feet long, takes most of summer) and then it eventually touches the pond and the carp drag it in and devour it too . .

maybe I better read that the pellet notes say start feeding when the water temp goes above 10'c eh ?? :D

it is a nice pond I have, but looks so black and uninviting when there is little or no plant life....

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !

Newt, here is a digram of the filter that i used successfully for more than twenty years,

Filter.jpg

Very easy to maintain and clean, I simply shut off the flow to tank, switch off the pump, remove the filters and rinse and bail out the mud/sludge. This was put on the garden.

Foams are available from most aquatic centres and I found that the 12" X18" fitted nicely in a 5gallon header tank.

My filter was disguised as a seat by the pond.

The design is self governing and as the filters clog up the flow reduces, and can be seen.

Some designs tell you to put the flow in at the top and let the water drain down thro the filters, but these are prone to overflowing and sometimes fatal results.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

as the filter becomes clogged, then does a back pressure not act on the pump . .

does this effect the life of the pump ?

how long do they run . . are they cheapy nasty pumps or named ??

I am on my 3rd in 5 years (two run together and one bust)

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !