Holiday for the pond fish

Hereford_angler

not sure about the stress . . It might be a bit late if the water has dropped so much, although you may be able to aclimatize them back slowly . .

I will watch this thread with interest . . also it maybe worth taking into consideration the amount of light they are used to in winter as opposed to what they maybe subjected to in the house . . also some cover maybe good ??

putting all the cons in the light maybe it is better to just leave them in the pond, is it over 28 inches deep ??

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !

Hereford,

Providing you acclimatise them gently, there is no problem bringing them in for the winter.

Some ornamentals are delicate when it comes to the cold weather & I've had to bring fish in a few times, then put them back out again in April/May.

You shouldn't need to bring the Tench & Carp in for any temperature reasons providing they're over a year old.

But if you just want to bring them in to watch in the tank, then no worries, just be careful.

One more thing, you'll be able to get some weight on them over winter ready for next summer!

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Although your aquarium is unheated as it should be for coldwater fish, I wouldn't bring in the Tench as they do like the dark and entering a dark room on these dark nights with a dark aquarium and putting the light in the room can startle them thus ending in lots of banging head against aquarium wall/glass and finally death.

Carp however grow on at a great rate of knots in side, but you must get them used to the temperature change first in your established tank.

If they are happy leave them where they are, and start a new tank with something else. :-)

Kimmy:

If they are happy leave them where they are, and start a new tank with something else. :-)

I agree. Save the tank space for critters that are interesting to watch closely or for critters that can't deal with the pond conditions.

I'm personally very fond of Oscars. So much fun to dump in a couple dozen goldfish and watch the pigs eat until they are so full they sink to the bottom and lean against something solid. And Oscars can easily be taught to eat from your hand and love to have a back scratch once they get decent size and accustomed to your hands.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President