Boilies for chub.

Norfolkdan

What flavours seem to work well for chub?

I have some 10mm com-plex boilies, I'm guessing they'll pick up barbel too?

Also every flavour of the Frank Warwick Hi-Attract range from Dynamite Baits, but in 15mm (too big???)

Dan

Hello Dan,

Chub will take almost anything edible so I would say don't worry too much about choosing a flavour especially for them. I've had them on fruity ones but they would take other types if they came across them.

They will also have no trouble with a 15mm boilie, their mouths are HUGE.

Edit: Forgot to add - If you are looking for a Chub selective bait the best thing to use by far is a juicy black slug.... if you can bear collecting them and hooking them. (slime everywhere!)

Just locate the Chub or a likely looking lair - carefully freeline the slug in without spooking them - and wait for the take.

They really are a superb Chub bait.

Have fun with them

Steve

[ 19. June 2005, 07:48 AM: Message edited by: SteveP ]

you don't need to spend loads of money on boilies for chub and barbel fishing, frank warwick must be laughing all the way to the ferrari dealers! i've had barbel and chub on pepperami, trout pellets, worms, etc etc

'Hi Steve, thanks for the reply, went looking for slugs, but couldn't see any last night'

Put a few leaves on the ground in your garden, put down a few spoonfuls of dog or cat food on top of the leaves before dark and check it out a few hours after dusk. You should have slugs in residence (if the badgers, foxes, hedgehogs or stray cats haven't found it first) I would be inclined to wear gloves though. I found out recently that snails and slugs CAN carry a virus that CAN cause meningitis.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

hi all,one day last season while fishing for barbel on the stour{not throop}i was in a swim known to contain at least one very big fish,however no barbel appeared,but what did appear was a shoal of huge chub that where over the far bank,the length of some of them where huge,so being there was no barbel showing i thought that i might as well have a go for them,so catapulted out some partiblend upstream of where the chub where,with a few bait samples,after a little while they where dashing about all over the place picking the loose feed up,as it was a very hot day i could see them very clearly,and thought i may be in with a chance here,so on went a very small piece of chipolata sausage,i brought two cooked sausages with me,which my other halve was cutting up for the dog,bless him.i then cast out to the far bank and waited to see what would happen,not much for the the next hour or so and then the center pin burst into life and a fish was hooked and i knew by the fight that it was a decent chub,however this was taking longer to get in than i thought,meanwhile my mate who was fishing 100yds upstream of me came down to net the fish for me,as by now it was in the net,as my mate started to lift the net he seemed to be struggling to lift it up,so i said come on paul its only a chub,to which he replied yes i know but its a big one,i thought perhaps with luck it may be a six,but when we got it onto the weigh sling i thought for a couple of seconds that it was a small carp,but then i saw those big white rubbery lips,no doubt about it big big chub,and on the scales it regestered 7lbs.6ozs,and i was estatic to say the least a new personal best.all i wanted to do now was put this magnificent chub back into the water,which i did because it was such a hot day.i sat back down in my chair,and didnt cast back in for another hour,thinking will i ever catch another chub like that again,maybe not,but the saddest part to this is that due to the very hot weather that day i done something i have never done before in 50 years of fishing mainly for big fish,i didnt take a photo of the chub,but at least the fish went straight back into the water,and as a final thought about that shoal,im convinced that the one i caught was not the biggest in the shoal,and sorry this turned out as more of an article than a reply.cheers derek.

Norfolkdan:

went looking for slugs, but couldn't see any last night.

:rolleyes: Won't get any in the heatwave Norfolkdan slug don't like the warm heat because they tend to shrivel up

Try hedgerows where once you would have been guaranteed to obtain a tinful following heavy rain, especially after dark, now harbour a few. However, the unders of larger stones in garden rockies, damp cellars, the bottom of piles of old cut logs, in fact any rotten, damp hideout, will provide the habitat that slug require. Damp woodlands well away from farming chemicals, such as public parks and overgrown pathways, are the places to visit. The best time are at night after heavy rain, or during the early morning when dawn is accompanied by thick fog or mist.

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Hi Dan,

There were loads out yesterday in the early morning in the bankside undergrowth where I fish, because it was still damp with dew.

They were all gone by about 09:00 as the sun began to dry it out.

Argylls dog food trick works well too - but I would agree about gloves. Hooking them is the worst part. Worth it though as the Chub love them.

Cheers

Steve