Lime in the lake

paul.saunders

I've just fished a local lake which has got 20 swims on it. This water holds a good head of carp and silver fish. In winter matches you need over 100lb of fish to come in the top 5 and in summer over 170lb (match record 253lb)it's a water that you just can't fail to catch or so i thought. As i got to my chosen peg i noticed some white powder and thought nothing of it. Set up started fishing and waited and waited 4 hours and not a line bite fish were jumping and the bubbles coming up like a jacquzie. The baliff (money collecter) arrived and took my money and asked how i was doing. i told him c**p. He then told me that waits had been down lately and went on to blame all the tins of cat food and tins of sweetcorn that had gone into the water and turned the water acidy. SO to remedy

this he had put a lot of lime into the lake to get it back to normal. i asked him how he new it was acidy. "i just new" he replyed. has anyone got any idea if this is the right thing to do as i have never heard anything like it before. I packed up and went home, cheesed off. as i was walking back i noticed a lot lime in every peg. Does this distress the fish?

A point a would like to add is that in the summer there is a match on the water 7 DAYS A WEEK. and then suddenly stops. Is that the real reason for falling catches. or is the bait to blame

sorry thread was so long

[ 18. November 2004, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: paul.s ]

Regards

Paul.s

----------------------------------

Live for today as there might not be a tommorrow!!!

jp-tackle.co.uk

There's nothing wrong with using lime in lakes, in fact it's quite a common method of overcoming acidity but it should only be used in conjunction with expert advice, it should never just be thrown in indiscriminately.

I'm going back to have a look tommorow and if the fish look distressed i might ring the EA. i think the bait excuse is not right there are so many fish in the lake it would be eaten in no time. by the way you are only aloud 2 tins of cat meat and 2 tins of corn now

Regards

Paul.s

jp-tackle.co.uk

Ferret1959:

Mmmm be interesting to see what Bruno has to say about this one.

It's as well that I already have posted an article on Anglers Net on this very subject.

You will find it by going to:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Miscellaneous-..._desilting.html

which should open on the 'Chemical desilting of lakes' article.

Bruno

www.bruno-broughton.co.uk

'He who laughs, lasts'

Thank you for that Bruno. have read with intrest. my only feeling is that it might not have been applied propley. the lake size is approx 75mx20m and the lime seemed to have been dumped from the bank and a lot of it

Regards

Paul.s

jp-tackle.co.uk

Excellent and informative article, Bruno.

However, as Paul S says, there seems to have been a certain gung-ho approach at his lake.

Too much lime can cause problems, particularly if the source of lime is treated with as little care as the amounts put into the water in this case. As Bruno points out, fully hydrated lime (free of quicklime) or chalk should be used, scattered from a boat (not chucked int each swim from the bank) applied to one part of the lake at a time (not all at once) and the pH of the water monitored before, during and after treatment.

After all, quicklime used to be a well-known poacher's device.

"Scot's whae fish wi' salmon roe,

Scots whae sniggle as ye go,

Will ye stand the Baillie, NO!

Let the limmer die.

Now's the day and now's the time,

Poison a' the burns wi' lime,

Fishing fair's a dastard crime.

We're for fishing FREE "

Andrew Lang, on the misuse of the "free fishing" of the Upper Clyde in the late nineteeth century.

[ 19. November 2004, 07:52 AM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

If a "lake" that is actually more of a puddle holds that number of fish, then it is hardly surprising that the fishing has deteriorated. It sounds to me as if they would have been better off limiting matches to one a week and removing at least 75 percent of the fish stocks.

[ 19. November 2004, 07:48 AM: Message edited by: Peter Sharpe ]

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Liming my club's lake got me charged with bringing the club into disrepute and 30 years worth of valuable service I rendered to them down the pan. I took the advice of some of our posters and swiftly heeded the yorkshireman's advice to his son, If tha's gonna do owt for nowt, do it for thissen. I've never struck another bat since nor ever aim to again.

There will be a match every day, 'cos it's great fishing.

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

• 4 years later...

When we upgraded the forum software for Anglers' Net a few years ago, many of the links from the old forum were broken. Part of my 'job' for early 2009 is to fix these, which I have done so for this thread. I haven't checked the destinations, I've just made them 'clickable' to the address that they used to goo to, so please PM me if you find any that have moved, giving as much detail as possible. Some of the links may have been 'unclickable', if it was impossible to work out what they should have been.

The only way I can spot relevant threads is a report in the server logs that somebody has recently tried to click a broken link. For that reason, I'm tagging this post onto each thread that is affected, as it may be that the member who clicked it will want to try again.

I'm hoping that the threads may be of interest to other members, though, and some old discussions may continue.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE