the best all round dry fly?

greenwells glory

hi guys

just wondering what do ye think is the best all round dry fly or any other flys ye like be they wet or dry..for me it would have to be a green mills glory.a great fly to use when nothing is happening and in the summer a silver sedge is always a great dry fly when the sedges are going..anyway would just like to here yer veiws on different flys..

regards

sean

"two men were standing on the bank of the river and one says to the other"how can i catch a fish?? and the other replied "you keep your bait in the water!!!"

hi guys

just wondering what do ye think is the best all round dry fly or any other flys ye like be they wet or dry..for me it would have to be a green mills glory.a great fly to use when nothing is happening and in the summer a silver sedge is always a great dry fly when the sedges are going..anyway would just like to here yer veiws on different flys..

regards

sean

Sean, do you mean a Greenwells Glory?

The best all round dry would probably be a Klinkhamer as it represents all the hatching duns.

Edited by greg long

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

ya sorry about that greg,i always get mixed up!!sur ive my username wrong aswell :lol::lol:

ah ive never fished the klinkhammer,does it fish on the surface or just slightly below it??

"two men were standing on the bank of the river and one says to the other"how can i catch a fish?? and the other replied "you keep your bait in the water!!!"

The best all round dry would probably be a Klinkhamer as it represents all the hatching duns.

Klinkhamers seem to come in all sorts of colours - which one in particular Greg?

If I was confronted with a trout stream previously unknown to me, anywhere in the world, and I was restricted to a dry fly, I think the first fly I would try would be a #16 Adams.

Mind you, Canon Greenwell's Glory is not a bad all-round dry either.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

As an all-round fly my choice would be a simple CDC Emerger. For a river I'd agree with Vagabond with the Adams.

Paul

Ginger Quill, Winged Blue Dun and Black Gnat are ever-present in my box, and where I come from we see a lot of yellow stone fly, so Yellow Sally both with and without the red tag can often bring lazy fish on.

Ginger Quill, Winged Blue Dun and Black Gnat are ever-present in my box, and where I come from we see a lot of yellow stone fly, so Yellow Sally both with and without the red tag can often bring lazy fish on.

i agree with the ginger quill but i think the blue dun only works in the early stages of the season eg february to april,after that its all mayfly,sedges and you can fish a sort of nymph upstream in the summer aswell..

The klinkhamer,Ginger quill and the Adams, But nothing beats knowing your patch and matching the hatch!

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

if I had to pick one, it would depend on which country I was in (here or back in the states). Over here it would have to be a #18 olive haystack (though an olive klink would be up there too) on the surface. Back home it would be a #16 CDC and elk in tan or olive.

Subsurface would be tough. I really like fishing midge larva to sighted fish on freestones and killer bugs/scud on the chalkstreams. To pick one fly though, it would be a small olive hares ear (some with a bead and flash back) in probably an 18 again.

For just plain fishyness in all conditions though, a black wooly bugger can be tough to beat. Drift it, strip it, jig it. It can be a lot of things.

Thanks,

Rick

Klinkhamers seem to come in all sorts of colours - which one in particular Greg?

If I was confronted with a trout stream previously unknown to me, anywhere in the world, and I was restricted to a dry fly, I think the first fly I would try would be a #16 Adams.

Mind you, Canon Greenwell's Glory is not a bad all-round dry either.

I preferr either the hares ear or cream body, the ones with anthron work best as it is translucent.

Sean, they fish just in and on the surface....

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..