reel recomendations

Phil Adams

Hi all,

I've given up with my Shimano 4000 GTM-RA, it is constantly breaking on me (the clutch knob comes off, and then the cluth fails to work properly. Ive given up with Shimano, although my old baitrunners are still going strong.

Can someone recomend a new reel, prefereably not from the shimano range. But a similar size to the 4000 for general useage? I fish mainly for tench, barble, chub and smaller carp.

Thanks

I do like Shimano's, I've just had a bad run with this reel.

I think its the clutch knob design thats the bad part. There is sweet FA holding the clutch knob on, be gentle with it and you should be fine.

Mine broke when I tried to tighten it right up to pull from a weed bed.

Having said that, I managed to fix it again last night lol, so I may give it one last chance.

Thanks

I've a couple of Penn Extreme reels that are peerless for quality. For a slightly smaller reel the Mitchell Pro 300 X are pretty darn good. And dare I suggest Okuma, their Epix range is extremely good.

Personally I have never felt that Shimano deserves their iconic hold on the reel market.

Try the Daiwa S CU TDS3003CU, expensive at over £100, but worth it.

Can be bought relatively cheaply from: www.tackleshop.co.uk/ProductDetails/mcs/ProductID/1548/GroupID/8/CategoryID/177/v/

I use the smaller 2503 size for my waggler fishing and it is superb.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Can someone recomend a new reel, prefereably not from the shimano range. But a similar size to the 4000 for general useage? I fish mainly for tench, barble, chub and smaller carp.

Phil I've had two Shimano 4000 Saraha GTEs for about a year. Get used regularly once/twice per week, nothing fallen off, clutches are as smooth as the proverbial babies bottom. Altogether nice reels.

Had the cheapies and done that. They look good, work well but dont always last the distance. Learned that lesson the expensive way. Stick to the top names.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

I use a FAPS Axiom 4000, 9 bearing, built probably better than any reel I've ever seen and about as smooth as they'll ever come.

Before the shimano crowd lynch me (or the Daiwa crowd) I am a firm believer that MANY quality products are overlooked in the fishing industry because of branding. I have handed FAPS reels to customers who are exceptionally impressed (including Shimano users), who struggle (and this is honest) to give a reason why the reel is a poorer relation.

Bear in mind FAPS centurion poles and the like are in the £1500 to £2000 class, they are not the sort of company to knock out any old crap. Take a look at the specs on our site (We also have two of the unboxed ones left discounted in the specials section).

BTW

I am not knocking Shimano or Daiwa - just saying that other companies are catching up *very* quickly.

Ian W