Building a Cabinet

Andy_1984

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian thank you thats invaluable info i have took on board and unfortunately i dont feel confident enough in my ability to cut a groove the entire length of one of the panels so done a little bit more digging and think ive come up(with what i can find out in a few hours) with a way of creating a frame first with 2x4 that hopefully doesnt need to be rebated by cutting a groove in the wood ?.

also i think it would be wise of me to do it modular style (stack up)

what would be the best way to do the support in the middle to hold the aquarium, the aquarium is smaller than the stand, due to the viv i want. so the aquarium wont sit on each corner of the stand but will be centralised.

Thanks

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

why?
Because the resins used could be problematic. Like i say Brian, I'm not SURE, I just don't know. If I was going to tackle a project like this then I'd use beech or oak, but I'd buy the timber in France and build it in my Father-in-law's workshop where I would have access to a chop saw, and a band-saw, routers and a jointing machine. Real timber is much cheaper in France. It's not unusual to see houses with 1" thick oak floorboards over there.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Andy 84,

I've tried to follow your thoughts. What you've come up with I visualize as a bomb bunker - orange crate affair? Consider the aesthetics (sp).

Phone

Not sure I'm correct. Have you a pic of one that is representative of what you want when finished?

only problem with MDF is that it absorbs moisture far greater than other woods suitable for a dragon and if it contains any pine or other woods containing resin toxic to reptiles. though some people have used mdf sealed with melamine without issue.

ill be using Birch plywood for the enclosure and covered with something but still not decided one what material to use for covering, perhaps melamine or other reptile safe laminate/heat resistant reptile safe vinyl. the floor will be tiled or carpeted (reptile carpet). probably tile for ease of cleaning.

Andy 84,

I've tried to follow your thoughts. What you've come up with I visualize as a bomb bunker - orange crate affair? Consider the aesthetics (sp).

Phone

Not sure I'm correct. Have you a pic of one that is representative of what you want when finished?

lol. my first design or the second design ?

The second idea is only a skeleton and if this is the easiest, best way then it will in the end be covered. im thinking high gloss white material like plastic/pvc/vinyl

Andy,

OK, but first read up! Every synthetic you mentioned off gas harmful Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC's) into the air. VOC's may endanger the health of your loved ones. (snakes, lizards, turtles and small fishes are bait to me)

Only a few plywoods are VOC free and the surface layer has little impact. I'm not certain how to go about this information. It's just that I hope you are.

Phone

Ok my first design would be the ideal solution but cost of hardwood panels that size and the grooving that Brian suggests are too big of an issue right now.

second one i quickly realised wouldnt support the tank. i reckon it would just fall straight through the middle if i did more support which i cant quite figure out how to do properly without it looking rubbish & taking up a lot of storage space inside the cabinet.

so here is what i reckon is the winner, see attached.

does anyone see any problems with it. its still to get cladding for added rigidity but thats not the real issue with this whole project, its the stability and strength.

on a plus side i have found some 500mm x 300mm wall brackets that hold 200kg per bracket from screwfix for under a tenner. so i might get that viv i wanted after all. or might still make it for the experience. no decent screen top vivs i can see :)

Phone, im looking around here and pretty much every bit of furniture is made from some sort of vinyl, plastic, melamine, laminate etc. apart from the couch(sofa) but i imagine the wooden frame under all that upholstery is treated with something.

im having a stab in the dark here but im sure UK standards with regards to VOCs in materials intended for use in the home are a little better than in the US ??

But ive taken in to account what you are saying, thank you.

Edited by Andy_1984

Andy

If you want to build your own vivarium here are some plans you could use.

Cabinet_plans_6_2_2.pdf

Cabinet_plans.pdf

Cabinet_plans4_X_18_X_18.pdf

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Something that always springs to mind when as a non-engineer I have to design something is this quote:

“Any damn fool can build a bridge, that won’t fall down. But it takes a man of much greater skill to build a bridge that JUST won’t fall down” – Keith Botsford on Chapman’s design philosophy