Jason

Probably right Budgie

but when you are there with the dawn chorus

and mist rising

and filled with anticipation

and a whole days fishing ahead of you

What more can life hold.

John

:thumbs: Cant argue with that John.I love dawn its a magical time to be on the water.

I suppose the point of my post (from an advice point of view) is that it pays to fish full days to at least establish when the best times (on any particular water or even at any particular time of year) are.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the estate lake that we got many of the Wingham tench from dawn was always by far and away the best time. Other similar venues I've fished have also produced well at dawn, although it's not been so marked.

However on gravel pits dawn has been good on only one, the others have been far better later in the morning. Wingham is a good example, although early season the tench feed best at night. They would normally have reverted to daytime feeding by now but, as John has pointed out, everything is behind after a promising start.

I suppose the point of my post (from an advice point of view) is that it pays to fish full days to at least establish when the best times (on any particular water or even at any particular time of year) are.

I'd certainly go along with that. :thumbs:

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

A bit of herasey here! I have NEVER fished a water for Tench that has been that good at dawn! despite what all the books and others say!

I caught my PB at dawn Budgie. I have never caught anymore at dawn in fact i can't remember catching anymore so i am sticking to it ;) . mind you i must have done at some point.

But i do know what you mean as most books and many Zander fisherman say they catch at night but i catch most in the Afternoon?

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Some good advice so far. I'd agree with Rich that fishing at the right time is very important, as it sounds like your tactics are well suited to tench. As others have said, that differs from water to water, so it's best to try as many different times as possible to start with. I'd also agree with John, many waters still haven't really woken up yet, so stick to it and it'll get better and better over the next few weeks!

Ps I've had quite a few gravel pit tench at dawn, including some big ones, but as Steve says, early season they can be pretty nocturnal, and after that I find the dawn to late morning period very reliable, with another short spell mid-afternoon. Then, if you're bream fishing, another one just after dark to cause maximum disturbance :rolleyes:

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

:thumbs: Cant argue with that John.I love dawn its a magical time to be on the water.

Hi mate

certainly agree with that hence on my original post I said fish all day.

Coming out of winter I have had my best tench after mid day. Lets face it april this year has been like february in the milder years we have had lately.

Staying on a water for 2 whole days and nights in the right venue and conditions still gets me so excited it is absolutely magical.

Maybe I should start a thread about it.

John

Most tench waters I know do fish at dawn and dusk, as the Crabtree version of reality would have it - but the alternative was demonstrated in the Passion for Angling tench fishing episode.

Thanks everyone for all your reply's. I would have replied earlier myself but i am on long shifts at work at the moment.

Ill bear that in mind about the time of day when to fish add ill have a try with some of the alternative baits you have suggested. Fingers crossed I will catch them soon.

Ive noticed that the bubbles and fizzing has disappeared these last few weeks probable due to the temperature like some of you mentioned.

I will keep trying to catch these impressive fighting fish. And hopefully I will post up a picture soon.

Thanks all. - Tight lines.

Jason

Edited by Jason

06 Jaguar S Type 2.7 Twin Turbo V6D.

2012 Fish: Roach, Dace, Gudgeon, Perch, Eel, Bream/Roach Hybrid. Bream, Silver Bream, Carp, Pike.

Jas Uses: Drennan Rods, TFG Rods, Shimano Reels, Okuma Reels, 4lb & 3lb Maxima chameleon line, Drennan Double Strength 6lb line, Drennan Hooks to nylon 2lb to size 20 barbless & 1lb 10oz to size 22 barbless., Mustad hooks to nylon 3lb to size 16 barbless * 2lb 10oz to size 18 barbless, Drennan floats, Premier Floats, Middy Floats, Uni Floats, Camo Shot, Anchor Shot, Drennan & Middy Open Ended & Closed ended feeders, Unbranded ledger weights, Shakespeare seat boxes, Fox Tents and Luggage. Team Shakespeare Umbrellas And much, much more.

Thanks everyone for all your reply's. I would have replied earlier myself but i am on long shifts at work at the moment.

Ill bear that in mind about the time of day when to fish add ill have a try with some of the alternative baits you have suggested. Fingers crossed I will catch them soon.

Ive noticed that the bubbles and fizzing has disappeared these last few weeks probable due to the temperature like some of you mentioned.

I will keep trying to catch these impressive fighting fish. And hopefully I will post up a picture soon.

Thanks all. - Tight lines.

Jason

Hi Jason,

Do let us know how you get on!

Rich

Out of interest, has anyone used either pellets or luncheon meat (spam) as a hook bait for tench? - Any success?

Jason

06 Jaguar S Type 2.7 Twin Turbo V6D.

2012 Fish: Roach, Dace, Gudgeon, Perch, Eel, Bream/Roach Hybrid. Bream, Silver Bream, Carp, Pike.

Jas Uses: Drennan Rods, TFG Rods, Shimano Reels, Okuma Reels, 4lb & 3lb Maxima chameleon line, Drennan Double Strength 6lb line, Drennan Hooks to nylon 2lb to size 20 barbless & 1lb 10oz to size 22 barbless., Mustad hooks to nylon 3lb to size 16 barbless * 2lb 10oz to size 18 barbless, Drennan floats, Premier Floats, Middy Floats, Uni Floats, Camo Shot, Anchor Shot, Drennan & Middy Open Ended & Closed ended feeders, Unbranded ledger weights, Shakespeare seat boxes, Fox Tents and Luggage. Team Shakespeare Umbrellas And much, much more.