Fish thefts from The Broads?

teebee

Salt in the river does not explain the thousands of fish scales on the board-walks Peter!! but that is all I have seen, I have heard reports about Fyke nets and trawling , all sorts of accusations about large pike ending up on the dinner tables of the French,etc.

One thing I know for a fact is (because I have asked,and been told) the EA are still granting Eel net licences to any one that applys for them, I find this practice strange on two counts,firstly; Why would some-one want to trap non existant Eels from our rivers for a living or personal gain?

Secondly; Why (given the massive decline of Eels ) don't the EA get a new byelaw in place as quickly as possible to stop the netting of the few Eels that do exist, to protect them ?

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope nobody takes Dave Docwra's comments too seriously. He should possible stick to talking about beach fishing if he's going to make comments about banning the use of freshwater fish as bait!

Tim

I will ask what licences have been issued Bob. Like you I find that an odd situation. I would doubt they can refuse to issue a licence but yes, with the current eel population on the Broads being practically nil yours is a valid point.

Re the eel nets, we had some fish market workers at Lowestoft who were adding to their income with nets. Thought it had stopped though.

Re pike in fyke nets, if otter guards are fitted, and they should be, its unlikely that a pike would get in. Cast nets are a likelyhood, especially in the likes of the Potter boatsheds.

Its the scales issue that makes me wonder. Wouldn't have thought that netting would have caused scale loss like that. But I have only ever netted herring & flatties so what do I know!

Tim, Dave is good bloke, but he can talk for Britain. Dread to think what his phone bills might be sometimes! Those of us who know him only take him seriously when it suits our arguements and opinions!! He's certainly helped me in the past. He's a 'thinking' angler and does come up with some good ideas. But yes, that's one comment that most of us won't take too seriously.

Bob Bradford:

... what I saw next, so shocked me I felt compelled to photograph it, I purchased a throw-away camera from Lathams and returned to the wetsheds.

I took over a dozen photo's of thousands and thousands of fish scales strewn along the wooden walk ways inside the sheds,...

Any chance of your posting a couple of those pictures on here?
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

No Newt , not at the moment at least, I supplied the Angling Times with a disc (after I took some digital photo's the day after) of at least a dozen shots, they did not use them! however The EA should be in possession of the disc now, as they requested it, I told Mr Pyett to contact the A/T for a copy, I will phone Mr Pyett tommorrow for an update and post his reply on here.

Thanks Bob. If you checked my profile, you can guess that given my distance from the UK, my interest is purely academic but the photos would certainly be interesting. Scans of the film photos would probably show plenty of detail for us to do some detective work - searching th scene for clues, as it were.

Also, there is a chance that seeing AN stealing their thunder with a couple of the pics would get Angling Times all inspired to publish the ones they have. Wouldn't be the first time. :D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

"Secondly; Why (given the massive decline of Eels ) don't the EA get a new byelaw in place as quickly as possible to stop the netting of the few Eels that do exist, to protect them ?"

Bob

I don't think these licences are covered by by- laws. I think the Agency have a legislated obligation to issue licences under the terms of the legislation and it is that which needs changing. We have been waiting since SAFFA (Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries Review) for new fisheries legislation and hope to see it in the next parliament. I know that the Agency want changes in this area.

Mike

Join the SAA today for only £10.00 and help defend angling.

I have spoken to Mr Rupert Pyett earlier today, and to be frank, he has done very little in the six weeks or so between our tel; conversations.

He has not visited the site to gather evidence of natural predation or theft.

He has not contacted the Angling Times for the compact disc of photo's supplied by me.

He refuses to put into writing what has occured in those wetsheds, and as far as he is concerned that is the end of the matter.

I have E-mailed the EA with a letter of complaint as I always purchase a fishing licence, and have done for the last 20 odd years,

I expect a better service from a body set up to deal with exactly these sort of issues, paid for by my licence money, put simply ,the EA are failing in their duty's and it is not good enough!

On the issue regarding Eel nets and traps, I have the following information supplied to me by the EA.

Anglian Region;

In 2002 approx 500 nets were licenced,

In 2003 approx 400 nets were Licenced,

In 2004 just under 200 nets were Licenced.

So ,Legal netting is in decline, ( no surprise there then, as there are very few Eels to net!))

Mike, I know the EA are legally bound to issue licences on demand, but should push harder to change the law.

Peter Waller:

Seems you know a lot about poaching Lee     !

What's the song about the Lincolnshire Poacher'?

:D:D:D

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine