Bite Alarms

Kappa

Heres a question for you all. I quite often fish with bite alarms during the day as it allows me to watch the water more and look at the wildlife etc. I always use my alarms on the lowest volume setting, however, I find OTHER peoples bite alarms incredibly irritating. People often seem to have their alarms on full volume and then spend ages tightening up slack line thru the alarms so they are constantly beeping at full volume! Beeep beeeeeep beeeeep.

How does everyone else feel about them? Am I just a grumpy git?

Rich

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you're a grumpy git, then so am i! one of the reasons i don't fish stillwaters anymore is because i was fed up of the relentless beeping all day.

why tighten your line with the alarm on? why have it on full volume?

I hate them. Dont use them and won't have them on my boat. On the odd occasion I baitfish for pike with more than one rod I use either floats or Fox drop offs. If you want to fish..fish. If you want to sleep... go home and do it. :cool:

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Another grumpy git here!

I use them but they're ALWAYS set as low as possible (even that's too loud imo) but some people just take the pi55.

There was some plonker on a local water who I thought was having a great session because his alarm was always beeping away but when I actually watched him he was just farting about with the line and tightening the slack etc. This was not helped by the fact that he was re-casting every few mintues.

Infuriating. :mad: demon :mad:

Too many anglers don't see to have any concept of the words "peace and quiet".

"STUDY TO BE QUIET"(!)

And don't get me started on mobiles..........

Unfortunately I've seen and heard people make a right old noise but they still catch fish! Therefore they probably don't think they're doing anything wrong.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

I set my volumes as low as possible and also use the lower end of the tone scale as high pitched noise does my head in.

For night fishing I have invested in a sounder box as the bloke four pegs down does not need a rude alarm call from me in the middle of the night.

If someone told these anglers that the loud volume travels down their line to the business end sending a danger signal to fish maybee they would turn them down.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I agree and am well and truly on the grumpy comittee!

I also hate it when they turn the alarms on before they have set their clutch and drag etc so there's this annoying beep, beeep, beep going on whilst they faff about!

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

I either switch them off till I'm set up or I simply lift the rod a couple of inches. I prefer the high-pitch beep though, albeit at lowish volume.

I've stood and completely ignored my mates alarms on numerous occasions because I just don't associate the low grumble with a run.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

aaahhh ya grumpy gits!

i do use alarms almost all the time when predator fishing,two fronts at the mo soon going up to rear and front alarms!

i do turn my alarm off when stteing my drop offs,but after dark especially before i relax on my bedchair i always go and test the alarms make sure they are turned back on,and i dont care if it irrates someone!and yes the are at full volume!

its better than leaving it off and risk deep hooking a pred.good job theres no one in the fens!

only time i dont use em is when i wander with one rod and a bucket of LB's then i just float fish em.

or if i want to get back on argylls boat,i'd leave em at home :):D

[ 10. August 2005, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: Ratty Fitzpatrick46 ]

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

'or if i want to get back on argylls boat,i'd leave em at home'

Believe it Russell :) When I've finished the decorating, we'll have another crack with the lures.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'