Wingham tactics

John Weddup

If three bleeps come in close proximity I strike. Not on one or two but on the 3rd that is like I said if there is a second between them. I have caught many more than lost on this technique. II did this twice and landed two Pike way out on the bottom of a gravel bar on mono at Wingham.

I can remember the beeps when I had my pike at wingham and that was very much the same. Single beeps a second or so apart. No run. Hooked it right in the scissors. That was at the last fish in. They are crafty buggers :D

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If three bleeps come in close proximity I strike. Not on one or two but on the 3rd that is like I said if there is a second between them. I have caught many more than lost on this technique. II did this twice and landed two Pike way out on the bottom of a gravel bar on mono at Wingham. On a boilie before anyone rips my head off and both hooked right in the lip!. It was a tad too early for Tench and we did think bream were in the area as andy's line the same evening but about an hour before was covered in tons of Snot!

My heart was in my mouth on both occasions but to no Reward but it's always pleasant to catch a fish whatever it is especially as it was -1 C that night right by the lake :)

If I thought Bream where in the area at night then the best thing is to sit on your hands and try to avoid striking. I would not be in any hurry to hit a few beeps, during the day yes I may well hit them as Anderoo has pointed out they could be Perch and as you found out they can some times be Pike. I would not blow the chance of one of those big Bream for a chance of a little Pike at night.

And again as Anderoo has said the Tench don't hang around so you tend to know when you have a bite :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Pike on lobs are pretty much the same wherever you are.

Stalking for chub in the winter with lobs as bait you always know when its a pike and not a chub that long drawn out bite that never really wraps the rod around.

I think they are just being lazy and obviously do not realise there is a hook in it until you strike.

Will bring long rod rests and make sure I lengthen my bobbin chains just in case as I would not wish to miss a chance after being given good advice from those fishing the venue.

I would never strike at a few bleeps anyway would always watch bite develop and decide what it is.

John

Edited by John Weddup

If I thought Bream where in the area at night then the best thing is to sit on your hands and try to avoid striking. I would not be in any hurry to hit a few beeps, during the day yes I may well hit them as Anderoo has pointed out they could be Perch and as you found out they can some times be Pike. I would not blow the chance of one of those big Bream for a chance of a little Pike at night.

And again as Anderoo has said the Tench don't hang around so you tend to know when you have a bite :D

My Tench PB from Wingham didn't steam off at all, the bobbin jitting around a bit, then eventually reached the top and just stop and occasionally took a bit of line and sometimes dropping the bobbin down again. It then came it like a bream! For a moment I thought I had hooked a bream during the day! Really confused me :-).

My Tench PB from Wingham didn't steam off at all, the bobbin jitting around a bit, then eventually reached the top and just stop and occasionally took a bit of line and sometimes dropping the bobbin down again. It then came it like a bream! For a moment I thought I had hooked a bream during the day! Really confused me :-).

I think you must have had a defective Tench :D

I have had the odd one that has not done much but most thunder off and are proper reel churners.

Edited by Dales

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

That made me chuckle lol. Did it swim in backwards too. I have a mental image of a wobbly tench falling into the net lol.

I have had the odd one that has not done much but most thunder off and are proper reel churners.

lol yes it might have been defective :-). All the other ones have completely stormed off even more than carp do normally.

My tactics on Sunday will be turn up havve a good scoff at the BBQ, a few drinks, wander round and say hello to old friends and then go off Trout fishing at Chequertree.

Oh yes I will bring along a case of beer so people can help themselves.

Tony

Depending on conditions on the day.

Think I'll start off on a 6wt WTF using a blood-worm pattern on the point with a couple of buzzers spaced up the line, looking for tench/perch.

If the perch are active, I'll change to a fry pattern and a medium fast retrieve (hoping that the pike aren't playing) .

If I think that there's a chance of rudd (especially when/if the evening rise occurs in still conditions), I'll switch to the 3wt and a dry.

If all else fails I'll be borrowing a lob worm from someone and roll-casting it into the margins! :)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Pike on lobs are pretty much the same wherever you are.

Haven't had any on lobs, but Wingham pike on fake maggots will sometimes give you screaming runs. Sometimes you get them, sometimes you strike at nothing and sometimes you strike at nothing and they've already bitten you off. Swines!

Depending on conditions on the day.

Think I'll start off on a 6wt WTF using a blood-worm pattern on the point with a couple of buzzers spaced up the line, looking for tench/perch.

If the perch are active, I'll change to a fry pattern and a medium fast retrieve (hoping that the pike aren't playing) .

If I think that there's a chance of rudd (especially when/if the evening rise occurs in still conditions), I'll switch to the 3wt and a dry.

If all else fails I'll be borrowing a lob worm from someone and roll-casting it into the margins! :)

By the sounds of it I will be watching Leon. Sounds very interesting.