Hello From Northants

Melwest

Melwest,

"Mr. Melwest" isn't interested in the pond? Certainly AN is chucked full of anglers of considerable skill and patients that would enjoy trading information for instruction. If there isn't a "local" angler handy (first choice) that would be my next choice (experienced AN angler).

It is nearly impossible to get someone off on the "right foot" in two dimensions without sounding overwhelming. To "dabble" whilst trundling about your pond is not a complicated exersize. To catch every fish in the UK is VERY complicated.

Someone in the UK can tell you how to contact local government "experts" regarding the population and condition of your pond. In the US it is a free service from an equal to the EA if that issue is of real importance. I doubt it. You know you have at least one carp.

Keep at it with the "SPECIFIC" questions. That will help us. As for the line you've mentioned. I'm 75 - fished all my life and NEVER heard of that brand in America (WoW!)

Phone

Melwest,

"Mr. Melwest" isn't interested in the pond? Certainly AN is chucked full of anglers of considerable skill and patients that would enjoy trading information for instruction. If there isn't a "local" angler handy (first choice) that would be my next choice (experienced AN angler).

It is nearly impossible to get someone off on the "right foot" in two dimensions without sounding overwhelming. To "dabble" whilst trundling about your pond is not a complicated exersize. To catch every fish in the UK is VERY complicated.

Someone in the UK can tell you how to contact local government "experts" regarding the population and condition of your pond. In the US it is a free service from an equal to the EA if that issue is of real importance. I doubt it. You know you have at least one carp.

Keep at it with the "SPECIFIC" questions. That will help us. As for the line you've mentioned. I'm 75 - fished all my life and NEVER heard of that brand in America (WoW!)

Phone

You are quite right Phone, "Mr Melwest" isn't interested in the pond....I'm a "river man". I find the static fishing methods not as enjoyable as they used to be (old bones ..!). These days, I fish with a bag on my shoulder, a landing net and my rod/reel. I have, in my past, fished very extensively for specimen Tench, hence my stillwater knowledge.

You surprise me to say that you've never heard of Maxima Chameleon in "the states". It really has been around over here for many, many years. It's manufactured by the Maxima Manufacturing Company in Germany. Perhaps it's marketed over there under another name.

It's not really the type of line that I think the "Carp Boys" would use over here as they've moved onto the higher tech lines.

Quote, "Maxima Cameleon changes colour by absorbing rather than reflecting light below the water's surface". It is a tough line and is quite abrasion resistant with a high knot strength and "fair" amount of stretch incorporated into it.

The "blurb" also states that it's suitable for trolling and structure fishing ..(?)

You might be able to obtain some via Ebay if you're interested in giving it a try.

"....you should have been here yesterday!"

You are quite right Phone, "Mr Melwest" isn't interested in the pond....I'm a "river man". I find the static fishing methods not as enjoyable as they used to be (old bones ..!). These days, I fish with a bag on my shoulder, a landing net and my rod/reel. I have, in my past, fished very extensively for specimen Tench, hence my stillwater knowledge.

You surprise me to say that you've never heard of Maxima Chameleon in "the states". It really has been around over here for many, many years. It's manufactured by the Maxima Manufacturing Company in Germany. Perhaps it's marketed over there under another name.

It's not really the type of line that I think the "Carp Boys" would use over here as they've moved onto the higher tech lines.

Quote, "Maxima Cameleon changes colour by absorbing rather than reflecting light below the water's surface". It is a tough line and is quite abrasion resistant with a high knot strength and "fair" amount of stretch incorporated into it.

The "blurb" also states that it's suitable for trolling and structure fishing ..(?)

You might be able to obtain some via Ebay if you're interested in giving it a try.

Maxima Chameleon was the line I was using when I caught my first chub and my first barbel. It is great line but I agree that it can seem a little low tech when you inspect it next to some of the newer lines. To look at it out of the water it does look dark and like it would stick out like a sore thumb but it is great. It doesnt seem like there are too many shops where I am that stock it anymore. As has been said most people now use the higher tech modern lines myself included.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

wunwet,

Are you also "Mr. Melwest". I don't get it?

Melwest, do you just want to dabble in some pond fishing or are you interested in becoming an expert?

As for the line - certainly Maxima Chameleon is quite popular in the US. Melwest says, "my brothers,they used Platil fishing line". Can't say I've ever heard of Platil or Maxima Chameleon being called Platil. Maybe is just slipped my mind.

Phone

wunwet,

Are you also "Mr. Melwest". I don't get it?

Melwest, do you just want to dabble in some pond fishing or are you interested in becoming an expert?

As for the line - certainly Maxima Chameleon is quite popular in the US. Melwest says, "my brothers,they used Platil fishing line". Can't say I've ever heard of Platil or Maxima Chameleon being called Platil. Maybe is just slipped my mind.

Phone

Hi Phone,

sorry my mistake, no I'm not "Mr. Melwest", it's the way I read your post (the little grey cells....) and it was getting quite late (I really must keep taking the tablets!).

Platil line was around when I was a "kid" but I never really used it...... just the odd small spool when I couldn't get the Maxima! Can't really comment on it's qualities or lack of but it was probably another line of German origin (we seemed to be "swamped" by them back then until the Japanese took over the market.

"....you should have been here yesterday!"

wunwet,

Yepper! I know the feeling (one I often have). I thought that might be the case. It sounds like Melwest has a couple dandy rods although they are "no name" with no mention of a reel. Hopefully she's not stuck with some old vintage centerpins (I hate centerpins - ha ha )

You just "know" if there is one carp there must be more and probably "something else" in the pond that might be quicker on the uptake and more fun for 30 minute sessions.

I can't get a handle on where she's going with this thread.

Phone

Maxima Chameleon was the line I was using when I caught my first chub and my first barbel. It is great line but I agree that it can seem a little low tech when you inspect it next to some of the newer lines. To look at it out of the water it does look dark and like it would stick out like a sore thumb but it is great. It doesnt seem like there are too many shops where I am that stock it anymore. As has been said most people now use the higher tech modern lines myself included.

I do not know where someone got Mr melwest as in my first post saying hi to all I mentioned that I am Mrs Tinca on here and melwest is my forum name.it is actually Mel for Melissa,so please guys,you can call me Mel no problems,but Mr,nope,I am a girlie fisher! I was raised with three big brothers whom used to look after me-baby sit in other words,they would take me fishing!-that is typical of you fella's lol! spending so much time with my brothers,obviously some has rubbed off,as I said before,I have never really been interested to do it until I moved here and having seen large fish in my own pond,thought it may be something else to add to my life skills!-I have a smallholding on 1.5 acres of land,rear my owns pigs,keep chickens,geese and ducks-though the ducks are going soon.I have also landscaped the entire smallholding,made my own "smoking" shed for bacon,other meats and fish,have three greenhouses full of plants and one polytunnel.

I am interested in fishing my own pond as well as the lake behind me-if I can find whom owns it and if they would give permission,I do not know where it shall lead,I mentioned the brands because that is what I remember from when I was young.The fishing line was Platil and Mustad hooks,brands of coarse reels I remember were,shakespeare,abu,mitchell,intrepid and one other beginning with I but is not registering at the moment!

One of my brothers was a sea fishing nut,the other coarse and fly/trout so I have seen it all really but it was a while ago and I do not know That much about the subject only from what i heard and saw at the time. :)

wunwet,

Yepper! I know the feeling (one I often have). I thought that might be the case. It sounds like Melwest has a couple dandy rods although they are "no name" with no mention of a reel. Hopefully she's not stuck with some old vintage centerpins (I hate centerpins - ha ha )

You just "know" if there is one carp there must be more and probably "something else" in the pond that might be quicker on the uptake and more fun for 30 minute sessions.

I can't get a handle on where she's going with this thread.

Phone

The rods I have found out are definitely carbon fibre,very lightweight,the reels I have got one Mitchel 410A and just won a DAM closed face off of the ebay,bought some floats,wagglers and small ones,some split shot,hooks in size 10,12 and 14,a bait box,keep net,landing net,disgorgers,now fella's,what else do I need? oh,and I am sure I found a link or saw one regards a licence? I do not think anyone would see me fishing on my own land as is amongst woodland now but I would sooner be legal :)

I 've tried to send a message "off screen" but it seems that you haven't enabled your personal messenger yet (in your controls).

Messaging is not active until after the 15th approved post and then it is automatically turned on.

You are supposed to have a rod license. I understand from previous board topics that the Post Office sells them and I think there is an online site if you prefer that. Don't have a link but someone should.

I like "Mel" for Melissa. A favourite niece from Wisconsin is called that and I like her well enough that we drove to Wisconsin for her wedding a few years ago - about 1200 miles one way I think it was.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President