wasp identification

chesters1

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i said nothing they were out of the hole so fast the camera couldnt get them i had to take 30 pics just to get one to smile ,they were ofcourse trying to go in as well usually bouncing of my head in confusion at the obstruction to normal flight :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

most likely what i said in first reply

[ 27 June 2002, 12:34 AM: Message edited by: pumphypete ]

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

Its one of the social wasps having built a nest like that, rather than a digger or spider hunting wasp.

The facial markings match that of the common wasp which is odd because they are bigger, from the size i recon they are tree wasps (vespula sylvestris) which do nest in roofs. My book says they are smaller than the common and have a longer face and have a black dot on the front of the head rather than an anchor. Difficult to tell from the pick can you get them line up with some other wasps in an identity parade?! By the way its only the females that sting.

Im off to glastonbury so will check in on tuesday!

Have a look here http://www.blackpool.net/www/sbwalsh/wasps.htm or here http://www.david.element.ukgateway.net/hym...ocialwasps1.htm

Dan

[ 27 June 2002, 01:03 AM: Message edited by: Dan ]

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Wasps are boring all they build is nests. Ants is what you want!!

Look at what this little fella has made!

bildm3.gif

Nanotechnology.

Bretty :P

[ 27 June 2002, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: Bretty ]

i had a look at the links dan ,i know for sure that there not common wasps as we have a nest at the back of the house to deal with :( they may be wood wasps as you say but the pics on the links arnt as sharp as mine and the banding on the body is well defined on mine (top pic) they seem harmless ,i`l foster them till winter :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

just testing

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif