Lure decorating competition

SteveP

Hello all,

Whilst having a pre-season tidy up I found a bunch of lure blanks I bought from Harris years ago and never got round to finishing.

They are 5" Rapala Originals without the diving vane - in plain white.(I've got about 15-20)

Is anyone interested in having an AN lure painting competition.

We can set a deadline and post pictures of the results for judging.

Could also have a category for the largest fish caught on one of these lures.

I'll even donate a prize of a 1&7/8oz Rebel Windcheater for the winner. (Also surplus to requirements)

What do you reckon - any interest or different ideas?

Cheers

Steve

Nice idea Steve but with the river season almost on us, I'm busy getting ready for a blitz on the sixteenth. Got some new Bagley B Flats ready to go and from what I remember of their poor paintwork, an extra two pot finish will be number one priority this week.

Now if you'd only found them at the beginning of the close season :)

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Hi Argyll,

Its no problem, they've sat in the drawer for several years so far - I'm sure they can wait until the seasons over if thats the general concensus.

Cheers

Steve

With regards to painting lures has anyone tried this glow in the dark paint that you can buy on eBay from the states?

I bought some of the powder and mixed it with a white enamel and it really does glow in the dark (very bright).

Dubious about it working (not tried mine yet), but then I was about the cheap holographic spoons I got off ebay, which did better for me last year than most lures (mr plastic froggy still got his fair share though!)

Ian W

Ian, having been talked into trying 'glow in the dark', lure lights and all of the other little tricks that involve illuminating a lure, I've come to the conclusion that it freaks the fish out....scares them witless. Noise in the shape of sound chambers and bearings and vibration probably does a far better job in less than clear water. A small Team Diawa TD Rattle Vibration lure arrived with an order yesterday and I took it out with me yesterday evening to see if it worked. It did, where nothing else would. All vibes and noise from a dozen brass bearings in a clear shell. Even outfished a raspberry flavoured softbait that I was trying out (as you do :) )

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

I'll go along with the luminous scaring fish syndrome. I tried an orange Mepps something or another in a flume tank containing muck and sea fish. The fish fled the floro job, they went for the subdued colours. Unfortunately there were no hooks attached! The floro glowed like a halo through the muck, like a streetr lamp on a foggy night. The fish did not seem to like it at all.

argyll:

This could be a regular close season 'thing'

Could be - I've also found a couple of handfuls of devon minnows just crying out for a new coat of paint.

Well thats a couple of closed seasons entertainment taken care of!

Cheers

Steve

i think traditional white skirting boards (not those silly 4" modern ones) maybe a very faint vertical stripe wallpaper and the picture rail also in white and white semigloss paint above to match the ceiling

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I was going to get technical advice from Laurence Llewelyn Bowen for mine.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.