FAO Boat Skippers and boat fishermen

rob.imk2

Hi guys my brother is looking at buying a boat to fish lakes ,lochs and eventually the sea .My questions are what type of boat is best and where can he do some kind of boat handling course? as he hasnt had a boat before and I dont want him going on the water without any training any advice would be welcome thanks in advance ....rob

Number me with Rage it,s a shame Number me in Haste its a shame

Rob,

Does you brother know boats are designed to make big holes in the water for dumping money into?

In the US not to many boats that can be handled by one man will serve both sea and freshwater

Where's Newt?

Phone

Phone - since the lochs can run pretty deep and pretty large, boat size or draft isn't usually and issue and I've seen photos of a hull design with a cabin/shelter thing on the front and a design suited to some pretty heavy weather that looks to be fine for one person to operate and several to fish from. Never seen anything similar over here but I imagine it suits their conditions pretty well.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Rob,

Does you brother know boats are designed to make big holes in the water for dumping money into?

In the US not to many boats that can be handled by one man will serve both sea and freshwater

Where's Newt?

Phone

Yes I believe b.o.a.t is an acronym for Break Out Another Thousand :D .My brother has been looking at Dejon boats or similar that have a cuddy at the front which will give cover in bad weather but I have read stories of them being unstable thats why I have asked for advice off the boat owners on the forum Newt the ones you have seen are the ones he is looking at .we have been told that the Dejon can be floated in 4 inches of water

I do both coarse and sea fishing and have my own boat for sea fishing

Big question first is does he want a boat capable of going to sea and fishing big lochs or small inland waters

An Orkney strikeliner is a good stable fast boat with a cabin option either open or closed depending on preference or what electronics you install and how safe your boat sstorage is. A Pebble is a good stable displacement boat that will do all of what you require but its outward range at sea will be more limited than a strikeliner

Keep away from the Dejon range, they're not a great hull design and there's been too many folk drown in them to be just a coincidence, in my opinion not a boat you should be going to sea in anyway

Remember that if you're afloat on a big open loch to treat it like the sea, they get very rough very quickly when the wind blows due to the tunnelling effect of thw wind through the vally's

Any questions just fire away but remember what's already been said, a boat is just a hole in the water that you throw money into

Thanks for the replies Guys there is a rya place near us .Brian he wants the boat for The Lakes and some Loch fishing and eventually inshore, so a boat is needed that will be suitable for both I am trying to steer him clear of the sea for now ,as he has no idea of boat handling and I have no experience myself except for going out on Lomond :fishing1: many moons ago on a very rough day ,and I know what you mean about treating a Loch like the sea :thumbs:

If you want to drop me an e mail anytime then do so, my e mail address is in my profile

Thanks very much Brian no doubt He and myself will need advice as I will be his fishi ng partner most of the time :) Our local sailing club do rya motor boat courses so that should be a good starting point .Just being nosey could you tell me what boat you have and do you rate it ?thanks ...Rob PS just read some horror stories about the Dejons so will stay away from them

Edited by rob.imk2

I have a 16ft Pebble with a 9.9hp twin cylinder two stroke on it and fish up to about 8/10 miles from shore

With it being a displacement hull theres no point in putting massive motors on the back as the hull has a maximum speed, its a very sturdy fishing boat good when travelling and very good on the anchor or drifting due to its hull shape, its a scaled down glass fibre version of a Yorkshire Coble and very much capable of handling inshore fishing trips, if the weathers too bad to be out in a pebble then you don't want to be out at all