Long range fishing - which rig should I use?

Guest Chris Perch

Guest Chris Perch

I am hoping to fish a water where fishing at range will be necesary, which rig should I use???

I mostly use running or inline set ups at the moment I have used the chod rig which I would imagine is completely tangle free so that sounds like a good option but would a helicopter rig be just as good for fishing a bottom bait??? and would it be fairly tangle free.

The water im fishing I would want to leave the rods out for quite long periods so knowing its not tangled is quite important.

I think I will have to get used to using tubing on my rigs to lessen the tangle rate when fishing at 80-100 yds.

Any tips or tricks would be great thx guys

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't often fish at greater than 60 or 70 yards, Chris, but find that putting the whole rig and lead in a PVA bag prevents tangles. With single baits or method feeder I go for a heli-rig with a PVA nugget on the hair.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Inline leads are very unaerodynamic and PVA bags greatly reduce casting range (I use both a lot). Pendant leads will go further, and a helicopter/chod rig will go further than anything else.

Using the right tackle and using the right casting action both go without saying!

Where's Richard Capper, he's the best long distance angler I know B)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Guest Chris Perch

Thx guys 80- 100 yds is about the sort of range I will be fishing so I think a mixture of chod and heli maybe with a hinged stiff rig on the heli may be a good idea - what do you think.

Also im thinking it may be difficult to catapult freebies as i usually do so will i need a throwing stick or are there catapults out there that will do 100yds with 20mm baits? (I am much better with a catapult than throwing stick) but have never pulted boilies 100yds Never tried i dont think??

Guest Chris Perch
I used to regularily fish at long range (120-150yds +) and found that the helicopter rig is by far the best rig for distance.

Is it best fished with tubing or lead core?

Guest Chris Perch
Chris,

Can't you just drive to the other side and fish from there?

Phone

Cant Drive round I could walk round but it would still be 90yds to the middle of the lake and some of the areas on the far bank are like a jungle so no fishing from there still need a fair chuck.

I guess some of the US lakes you would need to drive around or fish from a boat.

The lake im going to fish is about 15 acres so not a puddle.

If I could I would walk round and fish the margins.

Thanks for the tip though !!! LOL :thumbs:

By the way phone thanks for the tica reel help im gona give them a call this afternoon - been real busy at work THX!

Edited by Chris Perch

Chris,

This is how I tease my Brit friends who can fish at range. I can fish - maximim 35 - 40 yards. I always tell them there is a car park over by where their bait landed.

Phone

Guest Chris Perch
Chris,

This is how I tease my Brit friends who can fish at range. I can fish - maximim 35 - 40 yards. I always tell them there is a car park over by where their bait landed.

Phone

Ha Ha Nice one I like a bit of banter.

"I can fish - maximim 35 - 40 yards" Is that with a "BOBBER" or is that how far you can hit them with a bow - Lol

I just got round to e mailing Tica about my reel part so should hear back soon - Thx again 4 The help.