Acurate 60lb Scales

As the vast bulk of the carping I do these days is back in good old England Ive decided I need a "medium" range set of scales.I have 40lb,100lb (and even 300lb from my cat fishing days!) but really I need a set of 60lb for here.Realisticly upper 40's-scraper 50's will be my biggest fish so hence the need for a new set.My 100lb scales go up in 4oz divisions o should I stick with them or can someone reccomend a good set of 60's that go up in 1 or 2ozs? I dont like digital what so ever! so mechanical dial scales please! Im thinking Reuben Heatons (as Ive owned and used them before) but open to any other sugestions?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

As the vast bulk of the carping I do these days is back in good old England Ive decided I need a "medium" range set of scales.I have 40lb,100lb (and even 300lb from my cat fishing days!) but really I need a set of 60lb for here.Realisticly upper 40's-scraper 50's will be my biggest fish so hence the need for a new set.My 100lb scales go up in 4oz divisions o should I stick with them or can someone reccomend a good set of 60's that go up in 1 or 2ozs? I dont like digital what so ever! so mechanical dial scales please! Im thinking Reuben Heatons (as Ive owned and used them before) but open to any other sugestions?

stick with the Reuben's mate best out there i see you dont like digital but my i suggest a wee look at the new Reuben heaton 9000 digital scales

they do look lovely and they are Reuben's so they are good quality and accurate

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

BUDGIE (Dick),

I have Reuben Heatons to 60. They are not very sensitive after the first time around the dial. I'd say they are plus or minus a pound to a pound and a half from 30 to 40 and may be slightly more erratic between 40 and 50. (never 'tested' them with a flopping fish in a sling over 50). Like all "spring scales" they are subject to environmental conditions. (They vary more at the lighter weights than they do at the heavier weights but tend to catch and weigh light without settling (bouncing a bit) them at the higher weights.

Frankly, if I wanted ounce accuracy I would carry digital and a "KNOWN" weight in my kit (i.e. two 5 kilo bags of commercial bait or something(?)). I would "zero" them before each session.

That may not be acceptable but I don't believe there are any other "types" available. You certainly don't want the vertical spring scales that are popular guestimates in the US.

I have the (10 yr old) Ruben Heatons "certified" by the state of MO annually and they are "spot on" at 5 - 10 - 20 - 30 - 40 lbs. That is static dead weight. Nothing jiggling around in a sling to move them 3lbs one way or the other.

Phone

I quite like the look of the digital Reuben Heaton 9000.

Could these be my first proper scales?

I've never bothered about weighing fish in the past but there is a high probability of landing some real specimens in the not too distant future (fingers crossed smiley)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

thoe rubens look neat and at a price i could afford. are their any down sides to digi scales ive heard they can often be wrong pr go wrong at some point, something about temperature.

Been a long running debate on here Andy.Seems pretty evenly divided as well.Im allways concerned that as the battery wears down or its strength fluctuates (ambient temperature) that the accuracey will vary. (I did some comparrisons between my Avon dial scales and my brothers Fox digitals a few seasons back with tench and the number of times the digitals didnt agree with the dial was worrying) My other concern (if the fluctuating accurarcy thing is true) is that if you want you can check your dial scales after an important weighing and any in acuracy can be quantified and the original weight corrected. You cant do this to my knowledge with digital scales as the/any inacuracy found may be different to that at the time of weighing.

Also far less "technical" is that batteries can run out!

BUDGIE,

Do you carry a "known" weight? I trust the digital equally with my scales. In your "brother example" without a known weight your bias is just one or the other.

As for battery. If it is important enough to carry a scale, I'd think a spare battery shouldn't be a problem. My rebens have the same problem as you suggest for a digital against knon weights. Extremes - cold or hot.

I mean, after all, the postal service uses digital.

Phone

BUDGIE,

Do you carry a "known" weight? I trust the digital equally with my scales. In your "brother example" without a known weight your bias is just one or the other.

As for battery. If it is important enough to carry a scale, I'd think a spare battery shouldn't be a problem. My rebens have the same problem as you suggest for a digital against knon weights. Extremes - cold or hot.

I mean, after all, the postal service uses digital.

Phone

Normally not Phone but I do check my scales periodically using "known weights" (I use a combination of large weight down my local gym and small kitchen weights to check the ounces) HOWEVER for the test in question I didnt take any with us .Yes I know it could have just as easily been my scales that were wrong and fluctuating as it could have been my brothers using my very basic comparrison.Maybe I should (for interest) do it again but with known weights it wouldnt be as easy as I would have to go down the gym more often and at all t

imes of day and night and in all different conditions! I based my decission on the simple fact that when periodi checks have vbeen done on my dial scales there has been no major fluctuation though.

Digital scales are certainly what most chemists etc rely on (used to use my local one for weighing out flylines and leadcore when constructing my own lines/shooting heads) but surely most if not ALL of these really acurate digital scales are kept and used in fairly (compared to an anglers) stable conditions (temperature/humidity)...........................and are mains powered so no battery fluctuation?

Re the heat variations I did notice a difference when using dial scales regularly out in Spain but Im talking a few ounces over a hundred plus pounds.

BUDGIE,

Trust things like new packages of splitshot, lures and commercial bait. Keep the weight of a couple object you always have along in mind (pair of boots). Remember the weight of a gallon of water is known to the 24 decimal. The gym is a hassle.

Phone