Where's this waterway?

robtherake

Large ship navigating North-West river/canal

I'm fascinated by the maritime traffic using Teesport, which is clearly visible from our house. The vessel tracker in the link above helps to identify the ships which come and go. If you click on the ship icons much more detail is available, including pictures.

One of today's visitors is this vessel, shown navigating a very narrow and "English-looking" scenic waterway, a passage which seems hardly likely on first glance. Clicking on the link for the co-ordinates beneath the photo shows it to be inland of Liverpool. Does anyone recognise the location?

EDIT - As I expected, the link has reverted to the main picture. If you scroll down through the pictures to the second row from bottom (furthest left), there's a picture shot from slightly above which is significantly brighter and more colourful than the rest. That's the one I'm referring to.

Edited by robtherake

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Manchester Ship Canal?

If you stick those coordinates into Google maps, you can look at it on satellite view.

Another picture of the same ship on the Wikipedia page for the Manchester Ship Canal;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Ship_Canal

Edited by Steve Walker

Thanks Steve. This link for the Manchester Ship Canal - in addition to giving some background on the usage and history - shows a photo of a sister ship tied up along the same route, which makes the connection nicely.

The canal carries some 8 million tons of goods per annum - who would have thought.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

I've been around long enough to remember when this happened.

http://www.francisfrith.com/irlam/memories...cn=google.co.uk

.......About a one mile length of the canal became a river of fire 60 feet high and nearby houses in Lock Lane had to be evacuated.....
Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

"the canal was too polluted for police frogmen to be used"

Now:

Picture%20010.jpg

http://salfordangler.blogspot.co.uk/2012/0...anal-bream.html

That's one of the things the EU did. It forced us to clean up our rivers, canals and beaches.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

That's one of the things the EU did. It forced us to clean up our rivers, canals and beaches.

The Water Framework Directive has helped, although improving water quality in Manchester's waterways pre-dates it coming into force in 2000.

Other factors would be the privatisation of the water industry in the late 80's, separating the roles of gamekeeper and poacher, and the ongoing industrial decline of the economy of North Western England.

The Water Framework Directive has helped, although improving water quality in Manchester's waterways pre-dates it coming into force in 2000.

Other factors would be the privatisation of the water industry in the late 80's, separating the roles of gamekeeper and poacher, and the ongoing industrial decline of the economy of North Western England.

I was thinking more about the original Bathing Water Directive (76/160/EEC)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I was thinking more about the original Bathing Water Directive (76/160/EEC)

I guess there would be an impact of the cleanliness of the Mersey estuary on the resorts of the Fylde coast?

That might have helped, but the mass closure of factories in the 80s had a big effect on my local waters.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John