Bicycle Trailers

Andy_1984

Thought just popped in to my head after seeing a friends bike and was wondering if any of you guys use one for fishing regularly. how do you find them. is it hard pulling any kind of weight. pros, cons ?

got me thinking since ive been suffering with a stiff, sore lower back from last week.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

I don't cycle much these days, but a few years ago when I was mullet-fishing locally, I bought a bike trailer to carry my gear, cycling to marks some 10 miles away.

Once I was used to towing (there's a weird feeling as first the bike then the trailer goes over a bump, you feel as though someone has grabbed you from behind, holding you back, then shoved you forward again!) I found the trailer no problem, except for the temptation to take too much gear with me.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I remember seeing pictures of Leons trailer, and fancying something similar. Then I got to thinking about where Leon lives, and where I live. The terrain is completely different. I live in a very hilly area, (edge of pennines), and there is no way I could tow a trailer up some of the hills around here.

What's it like around you Andy?

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I remember seeing pictures of Leons trailer, and fancying something similar. Then I got to thinking about where Leon lives, and where I live. The terrain is completely different. I live in a very hilly area, (edge of pennines), and there is no way I could tow a trailer up some of the hills around here.

What's it like around you Andy?

John.

its not so bad. i suppose the only bad thing i can see for me is the sheer amount of traffic being near glasgow city centre. hills and such aint to much of an issue since i think the main use of bike and trailer would be on the canal where theres no hills that would be of any issue.

then theres storage of the bloody thing. id need to chuck out a few of my other fishing bags cluttering up the cupboard :D it did seem a good idea since it was 40lb on my back :(

I considered and then dismissed a bike trailer for fishing.

A lot of my most direct routes to the river are through parks and along canals and in both cases, they have barriers designed to stop the local yobs riding motorbikes that would effectively be impassible with a trailer.

Then there''s rutted riverside paths and stiles to contend with.

Go check out the routes you would use before you put your hand in your pocket.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

A lot of my most direct routes to the river as through parks and along canals and in both cases, they have barrier designed to stop the local yobs riding motorbikes that would effectively be impassible with a trailer.

Then there''s rutted riverside paths and styles to contend with.

The river path near me had kissing-gates to stop the motorbikes.

I could just get through with panniers but had to unhook the trailer to get through, a right pain!

A letter to the council pointing out the difficulties I was having (not to mention touring cyclists and cyclists with kiddy-trailers) had them replacing them with the type with a narrow opening at the top, but wide at the bottom which allows the trailer to get through but stops motor-cyclists (and exceptionally fat cyclists?).

Cross-country (and the occasional hill) with the trailer wasn't a problem, with wide, fully inflated tyres and a set of low-gears on my hybrid bicycle.

Oh! apart from the time I went over a small hillock at speed and a reel bounced out of the trailer and into the long grass (retrieved on my next visit :) )

RNLI Shoreline Member

then theres storage of the bloody thing.

Amazing the amount of stuff you can store IN the trailer. :)

The trailer I have has canvas sides.

Unfortunately, when stuffed with gear this can allow the contents to push the canvas outwards, rubbing on the wheels.

A couple of bits of plywood, cut varnished and fitted, solved that problem :)

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

great info guys thanks very much. im not sold on the idea yet. ive got a bit of a track record for thinking something will help get my gear to the bank but turns out just as hard as the next idea <_<

im sure someone will find this info helpful at some point.

Many years ago I built one. If you have any experience with bending tubing, it isn't that difficult. I had the sides on hinges and the tires mounted so they were easily removable (al-la some of the racing bicycle tire mounts) and the rig would store easily.

As already noted, they aren't hard to manage on a bicycle and you can climb most hills you could climb without the trailer hooked on.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/do-it-yours...az81jazraw.aspx should give you some ideas if you want a DIY project that doesn't need any tubing but I liked the lighter weight when compared to an all wood version. A google search for building bicycle trailer book will give you lots of good resources.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President