New Fisherman here

triumphted

Hello everyone I desperately need your advice and apologies for probably asking the same question you must have answered many many times.

Having been a keen motorcyclist and cyclist for many of my 62 years I think it is time to now slow down a bit and pursue more leisurely hobby.Although I dare say given the many types of fishing there are perhaps more leisurely is the wrong term to use.

Another of my motivation to begin fishing is to get my three grandsons interested in it as well.

I can recall as a kid fishing in the river at Edenbridge and at the timeI had a bees knees bamboo rodbut I am sure that times have moved on and that is why I need your advice.

I live in Eastbourne but I want to start fishing in the river so should I be looking for a specific course fishing rod or can I use a carp or pole rod.

Can I also ask having looked on the Net can someone recommend a starter kit that is reasonably priced.

To be honest I would prefer to buy this from a localtackle shop rather than off of the Net because just like cycling shops I consider they are valuable to our sport and even if I pay that bit more its a price worth paying to keep them in business.

Thinking back to my childhood days there use to be a fishing season can someone tell me whether there still is and if there is what are the dates.

As I said sorry about the questions but any advice you can offer would be appreciated.

Hello Ted, and welcome to Anglers Net :)

I'll move this over to the coarse fishing section, you'll get more replies on there ;)

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Ultimately you'll need more than one rod. IMHO the main ones are:

- match or trotting rod for float fishing for small fish

- medium strength rod for ledgering or float fishing for bream, tench etc (you could also use it for float fishing for small fish, but a bit heavy. For tench, bream etc weight isn't really an issue as you usually sit with the rod in a rest for both float fishing and ledgering). I love my John Wilson Avon Quiver (1.25lbs test curve)

- carp rod, which you could also use for light sea fishing

Which to get first depends a bit on what fishing is available. Lots of youngsters prefer to start with carp cos they put a good bend in the rod, but many including me on A.N. think this is not the best way, and they should learn with smaller fish as a better foundation.

But I fully agree about going to your local tackle shop - they will give good advice on where to go and what tackle to get. And they'll give info on the local angling clubs, which are normally good value if you are going to do more than the occasional day fishing, and will greatly expand the options of where to fish.

A word of warning, though. Winter is the worst time to start, and I fear many beginners lose heart. By all means have a go, but don't get disappointed. When the waters warm up from June onwards there will be loads of bites!

john clarke

Thanks Pete and John very much appreciated

TFT Thank you as well. I popped down to a local lake today and although its close to the A22 it was so peaceful even my wie commented she could see why I wanted to start fishing.Fair point about the Winter as well so I need to make sure I am well covered up and hopefully because its going to be more difficult to get a bite more experienced anglers may not mind me asking those inane questions I may need to ask.

Met a great couple of ladstoday who clued me up to where the local tackle shop is so I will be down there this week.

Being a tight wad its a bit of a pain to discover how the licence fee works and I will be paying £27 for just 3 months but I would rather than than wait to next April.

Thanks again everyone Ted

Ultimately you'll need more than one rod. IMHO the main ones are:

- match or trotting rod for float fishing for small fish

- medium strength rod for ledgering or float fishing for bream, tench etc (you could also use it for float fishing for small fish, but a bit heavy. For tench, bream etc weight isn't really an issue as you usually sit with the rod in a rest for both float fishing and ledgering). I love my John Wilson Avon Quiver (1.25lbs test curve)

- carp rod, which you could also use for light sea fishing

Which to get first depends a bit on what fishing is available. Lots of youngsters prefer to start with carp cos they put a good bend in the rod, but many including me on A.N. think this is not the best way, and they should learn with smaller fish as a better foundation.

But I fully agree about going to your local tackle shop - they will give good advice on where to go and what tackle to get. And they'll give info on the local angling clubs, which are normally good value if you are going to do more than the occasional day fishing, and will greatly expand the options of where to fish.

A word of warning, though. Winter is the worst time to start, and I fear many beginners lose heart. By all means have a go, but don't get disappointed. When the waters warm up from June onwards there will be loads of bites!

For getting the youngsters started, wait for warm weather and find a pond where they can catch & catch & catch.

By the way, you can see from This topic of mine or This one by Vagabond who is a good bit older than I am that getting older and slowing down a bit doesn't have to make the fishing any less exciting. :D:D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

It's a pain, but I don't think you can avoid the £27. A nuisance there isn't a quarterly rate. Obviously there is the sea, but i don't know anything about that branch of the sport.

For fishing in winter in my view you are far better off in running water as the fish have to expend energy to keep in position, and therefore need to eat and will take a bait, though they shoal up and you have to find the fish. Still waters can be a nightmare!

john clarke